Thursday, November 11, 2010

Aggravation and some good news

I have been so aggravated today with the doctor and the hospital.  I had called yesterday asking what to do about the MRI.  I was supposed to get back to the imaging place yesterday, but no one ever called me back.  So I called again today.  The medical assistant was a little snippy with me and said she had told the doctor my problem and I would just have to wait for an answer.  OK.  The doctor is going on vacation next week for 2 weeks, so when does this answer come?  Oh well, if she doesn't get back to me, I can't get the MRI.

Then I asked about the medical leave form I left with them.  So she transferred me to the nurses' station where she said she had left the form.  The nurse there, Karen, told me it was time I called back because she had been leaving messages for me on my cell phone for a month.  I told her I never gave her a cell phone number (didn't mention that it has been less than a month since I was there).  She said, "Yes, you did.  It's 610-..."  I stopped her right there and told her that 610 was Montgomery County's area code and I lived in Philadelphia.  My cell phone began with 215 the area code for Philly.  She insisted that this was the number I gave her.  I never give out my cell phone number, so I know I never gave it to her.  And even if I did, I would have given the correct number.

So anyway, she asked why I had left the one piece of paper that I could have filled out myself.  I told her I DID fill it out, it needed to have medical information attached.  She said she couldn't give me that because I hadn't had the surgery yet.  I told her I needed the medical leave from the city before I could have the surgery.  So she agreed to send a dictation the doctor had done stating why I was having surgery.  Finally!

THEN, I asked what they had put down as my return date.  She said January 2.  I said that would be nice, but the doctor had told me I couldn't lift 40 lbs of books for 12-16 weeks.  She said for a hiatal hernia they never give more than 4-6 weeks and I would just have to work around it.  She could give me 6 weeks, but that was it.  No way!  After talking with the doctor, Karen called me back and said they would give me 8 weeks, but I was not to be at the front desk, shelve books, lift books, or push book trucks.  I told her that was my job and I would have to do it.  She said that wasn't their problem, I would have to work it out.  Can I scream now?  Well, before I come back to work I have to be examined by the city doctor and there is no way he will release me to return to work unless I am able to do my job.  My boss is going to work with me.  It would be better for me to return earlier, but not if I'm going to undo all the surgery.   I'm just so aggravated!

There was some good news today.  One of my very good friends from church, Sarah, became engaged to her boyfriend, Steve today.  The only bad news is Steve lives in New York City and she will be moving there when they get married.  But I am so happy for her.  Her ring is gorgeous!


What a beautiful ring.



Sarah looks so happy.




Steve and Sarah


19 days to surgery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.