Wednesday, August 29, 2012

MY DAY OFF

I took today off from work in order to take Joe to see a new neurologist.  This is a doctor that he saw at the Veteran's Hospital and who did a great deal of good for him.  I have never seen a doctor give him such a thorough examination.  Every question he could think of, he asked.  Did all kinds of tests on him.  And has ordered diagnostic tests that haven't been done in over 10 years.  I like him and think he is going to do Joe a lot of good.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if he could get his seizures down to a manageable level?

This new doctor is at Holy Redeemer Hospital.  It is a huge place with lots of buildings.  We got so lost.  I guess after we've been going there awhile we will get used to it.

The hospital is also near the cemetery where Joe's mom and twin brother, John, are buried.  So while we were up that way, we stopped.  I always let Joe have time alone and I wander around.  The grounds are beautiful.



Joe and I have a plot right near his brother and mother (who are across from each other).  When I looked at our plot someone had left a cross on it.  Strange, but nice.



After we left the cemetery we went to lunch at the Country Club and then came home.  We were both so tired we took naps.  I didn't mean to, but I ended up sleeping the whole afternoon (about four hours).

I made lemon chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner.  It came out good.  I made a peach cake for dessert out of my new cookbook.  Yum.  It tastes a lot like my grandmother's steamed pudding that she used to make.  I thought I'd post it for anyone who wanted to try it.  It's easy to make.

PEACH LONG CAKE (makes 10 servings)
4 cups peaches, sliced (I used a large can of sliced peaches)
1/2 cup sugar

Dough:
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
6 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening (I used margarine)
1 large egg, beaten
2/3 cup milk

1.  Sprinkle sugar over sliced peaches.  Set aside.
2.  Sift flour.  Add baking powder, sugar, and salt.  Cut in shortening.  Add egg and milk and stir until moistened.  Spread dough into a well-greased 9"x13" pan.  Arrange peach slices over dough.

Topping:
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp. flour

1.  Cream together all ingredients.  Drop by spoonfuls over peaches.
2.  Bake at 375* for 30 minutes.  Serve warm with milk or whipped cream.

Enjoy folks!

3 comments:

  1. Praying that this new doctor can help Joe.

    Your dinner sounds delicious. I'm gonna come visit you just to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallelujah! This doctor sounds wonderful. Joe must be excited, too.
    Glad you went with Joe. It always is so helpful to have another set of ears and eyes when it comes to health concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A doctor that is thorough?Hang on to this one! There aren't many out there! Hope he can get Joe to a maintenence level of some kind.
    The cross is interesting.Makes you wonder..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.