Thursday, August 16, 2012


This morning I went to see the doctor before I went to work.  He was very happy with the report from the cardiologist.  But very concerned with my back and leg problem.  He thinks I may have a herniated or ruptured disk in my spine.  He has given me a referral to the Muscle, Bone and Joint Clinic to see what is going on.  They are supposedly one of the best places in Philly to go for orthopedic doctors.  I went there many years ago when I first had the car accident that started all my back problems.  So let's see what they say this time.  He also gave me stronger pain medication which seems to be helping to take the edge off of it.

I got out of the doctor's office in time to make it to work before we opened.  It was a slow day which was good for me.  I got some more cleaning up done in the workroom.  It's starting to look very good.  My main question is:  why are we keeping route slips that are completely used up?  I mean, if all the spaces are full and you can't use them anymore, why are they thrown in a pile to be used again?  I threw out so much stuff.  I know it's not me keeping them.  I have to have a little meeting with my staff.

I was on the front desk at the 5:00 p.m. hour, Bob was shelving and Sheila, Diane and Marquita were at lunch.  It was quiet.  There were a few people milling around, but it was slow enough that I was able to sit there and read my book.  Suddenly, the fire alarm went off.  Lights! Sirens!! Phones ringing because it automatically calls the security alarm company!!!  Fire trucks rolling up to the front door!!!!  We had to get all the people out without them taking any library material with them.  People were mad that they had to leave.  People outside were mad that they couldn't come in.  I got my staff to leave and Jerry, Sheila and I being the management team stayed inside to try to find out what set it off.  It turns out that the toilet in the men's room overflowed.  The water ran through the floor into the smoke detector below it and set it off.  The smoke detector set off the fire alarm.  And so it went.  We had to wait about 15 minutes until the Fire Department gave us the OK to go back in.  By this time all the patrons had left.  But people slowly straggled back in and by closing time we were full again.

Joe is doing better today.  When I came home at 8:30 p.m. he had put some chicken thighs in the oven, put some barbecue sauce on them, and they were almost done.  I made some lima beans and we had dinner at a "decent" time.  That was so good that he was able to do that.  He could not have done it a couple of days ago.  But now his hands are shaking badly again.  So it comes and goes.

One more day of work and then the weekend.  I hope I can just lay around a lot and feel better.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got a referral to the Bone and Joint Clinic. Hopfeully they can offer you some relief. Your dinner sounds yummy. I have BBQ Chicken on my menu this week too. TGIF Friend- It's the weekend.


Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.