Wednesday, September 7, 2011

WHAT I'M READING

I thought I would start a series of posts on different books that I have read.  Sharing my thoughts is a good way of passing on to you what I think is good and what is not so good with the books I read.  I guess sharing reading material is just a part of this library sickness I have.  Ha, ha.  Hope you like this.

THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES


Here is my first book choice:  The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus by Tim Slover.

About the book:

In this new holiday classic, Tim Slover crafts a marvelous, magical novel about how Santa Claus became the man he is today.  After reading The Christmas Chronicles you'll believe all over again in the magic of the season.

Snow is falling, and the clock ticks toward midnight on Christmas Eve while countless children, too excited to sleep, anticipate the arrival of Santa Claus.  But in Tim Slover's deeply charming and utterly thrilling new novel, that's the end rather than the beginning of the story.  In this richly imagined tale of Santa's origins, the man in full finally emerges.  The Christmas Chronicles is at once an action-packed adventure, an inspiring story of commitment and faith, and a moving love story.

It all starts in 1343, when the child Klaus is orphaned and adopted by a craftsmen's guild.  The boy will grow to become a master woodworker with an infectious laugh and an unparalleled gift for making toys.  His talent and generosity uniquely equip him to bestow hundreds of gifts on children at Christmas -- and to court the delightful Anna, who enters his life on a sleigh driven by the reindeer Dasher and becomes his beloved wife.

Still, all is not snowfall and presents.  Klaus will be shadowed by the envious Rolf Eckhof, who will stop at nothing to subvert him.  But in the end, Santa's magic is at last unleashed, flying reindeer come to his aid, and an epic battle between good and evil is waged in the frosty Christmas skies.

By turns enchanting, hair-raising, and inspirational, The Christmas Chronicles is a beguiling tale destined to become a holiday favorite for the ages.

(taken from the book jacket)

My thoughts:

I was looking for a little short book to read and came across this on the library shelf.  I do not usually read Christmas books aside from the Christmas season.  But the cover -- yes I judged the book by the cover (tee hee) -- intrigued me.  So I took it out and started reading it.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  The prologue caught me right away.  It is so well written.  And the story is unique.  I mean, how many stories are out there on how Santa Claus originated?  The love between Klaus and Anna is tangible.

So even if it's not Christmas, this is a good read.  This gets my "thumbs up"!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on finding these treasures when looking for something 'light'. I discovered A Dog Named Christmas by Greg Kincaid. While written for a younger audience, I couldn't put it down. It is a story of faith & hope in people to do the right thing.I'm not sure if the library has a copy, but maybe it should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds familiar so I think we do have it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.