Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snow Day

What a difference a day makes.  This is yesterday's sunrise.


And here is today's.


This is only the second snow of the season.  But it was not fun.


See my pretty car?  Just a little snow on it right?  Wrong.  It had a slick coating of solid ice also.  The mailman came knocking at the door early this morning and told me to be very careful outside.  He then proceeded to slide down the sidewalk and almost fell.  I put out some salt, waited awhile and then took the shovel to it.  Fortunately the salt had done its job and the ice came right up.

Here is the back yard.




Looks pretty, but also covered in ice.  I wanted to put out some food for the birds, but it was too icy to get to the bird feeder.

I made chicken noodle soup for dinner.  The other night I got a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket for dinner.  Yesterday I took some of the leftovers for lunch.  And today the rest of it went into soup.  Since I paid only $2.50 for the chicken (it was the end of the night and they wanted to get rid of their chickens), I think this was a really good deal.  I got the recipe from the City Tavern cookbook my brother gave me for Christmas.  It was a soup Thomas Jefferson enjoyed.  I understand why.  It was good!

Here's the recipe (very easy):

CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP  (Serves 6-8)
1 tblsp. unsalted butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
3 quarts of chicken stock
1 sprig fresh thyme (I didn't have fresh so added dried)
1 lb. boneless chicken (white or dark meat), cooked and chopped
8 oz. egg noodles
salt and pepper
chopped parsley for garnish

Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan (I used a stock pot) over medium heat, then add the onion and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, until softened and translucent.  Add the celery and carrots, and saute for 3 to 5 minutes more, until softened.

Stir in the stock and thyme, and bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the stock is reduced by one-third.

Remove and discard the thyme and add the chicken and egg noodles.  Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until heated.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve the in a tureen or in individual bowls garnished with parsley.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. wow, you really did get some ice! We got only snow here and that is easier to deal with than ice. We got 7 inches of snow overnight from Fri into Sat. morning. My kids were really happy and they had their cousins over to sled ride. We made a fire outside and roasted hot dogs and drank hot chocolate. It was all my hubby's idea and he took care of everything. I did have fun, but I was intending on cooking and baking all day...well, plans got changed. The kids had a blast so it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't no wonder everyone is sick. This weather is pure insanity. Beautiful sunny skies one day & snow the next. I'm in KY and snow has been zilch. We haven't had one decent snowfall this year. I can tell you, I'm craving snow but NOT ice!

    Your recipe sounds yummy. It's a little different than my normal chicken noodle recipe. I might have to give it a try.

    Stay warm friend :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.