Saturday, December 26, 2020

BLOGMAS DAY 14 -- CHRISTMAS EVE'S EVE


 Merry Christmas all my friends and readers!  What a wonderful time of year when we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  I hope you are all having the most glorious day today.

Sorry this is so late getting to you.  I began this post yesterday, but ran out of power and couldn't find my cord.  I borrowed Joe's today so I could finish it.

On Wednesday Joe and I made our way to my sister's house to celebrate Christmas.  Since Elaine works in a hospital, there are some holidays she has to work.  Christmas was one of them this year.  The people who work on Christmas in a hospital taking care of all those helpless people deserve such thanks for their selflessness.

I was up in time to see the sun rise.  It was a beautiful clear morning.


I finished hanging my Christmas cards and then made myself some bagels for breakfast.


We left a little later than we wanted to, but earlier than we thought we would.  It really didn't matter, though, since there was a major accident on I-95 and we crawled along for 30 minutes.  Seven or eight police cars were closing off the right two lanes.  To top it off, one poor person's car had broken down in one of the two lanes getting by and everyone had to go around him.  As we passed he was sitting in the driver's seat with his head in his hands.  And all of this was between the first and second exits we had to pass.

Fortunately that was the only hitch on the way up there.  We were so late getting to Elaine's house, though, because the traffic was so bad.  I was happy to see her festive home when we drove up.


She had invited her friend, Frank, over for dinner as well as us and he came about an hour after we got there.  He was upset because apparently several of the roads he uses to get there were closed and he had to do all kinds of detours.  What a day on the roads!

Before we ate we had to open our Christmas crackers.  What fun!  And we all had to wear our paper crowns through dinner.




The prizes were nice this year.  Elaine got tweezers, Frank a magnifying glass, Joe miniature playing cards, and I got a mini roll of tape.  Adorable.  But I'll never use it.  Although I did pull a little out and it's actually sticky.


And as usual the jokes were corny and we all pretended to laugh at them.  Here's mine.

Dinner was wonderful.  She had a glazed ham, roasted potatoes, green beans, and Hawaiian rolls.  Yum!

Look how cute the butter shaped as a Christmas tree is.

And as usual the table was decorated with some of the nutcracker collection Elaine has.  What's more Christmasy than a nutcracker?



Joe and I had gotten Elaine flowers shaped like a little dog.  So cute.


Of course her little cocker spaniel Ace is better looking.


For dessert Elaine brought out all kinds of goodies.  There was apple pie, homemade cookies and Frank had gotten some sugar-free cupcakes.  They took one of them and put a candle in it to celebrate my birthday.  I still had a week before the big day, but this was when we would be together.





Elaine's tree was beautiful!  She had lots of Lenox ornaments on it.

This dragonfly ornament is the one she got in Lancaster this past July.  The 2020 ornament.




A couple of weeks ago when she was visiting her friend here in the Philly area, Elaine found this beautiful angel and just had to get it.  I understand why.  It's gorgeous.


Everything was so festive!








This is the "Merry Christmas" runner that we saw at Ross when Elaine was here.  I talked her into getting it.  It looks really nice in her hallway.



Frank stayed awhile after dinner and we exchanged gifts with him.  After he left, Elaine and I watched a movie.  But I was falling asleep so we called it a night.

I'll tell you about Christmas Eve next time.  But now I really have to get going.  I have things to do before I go to bed.  See you all soon.

Kathy






10 comments:

  1. Elaine's house looks so pretty! Love the dog you gave her. Ace looks so comfy with his pillow. The photos came out very well. The food looks scrunptios! The butter tree is so unique.I love the cookies with the kiss in the middle! One of my faves. I am glad you talked Elaine into getting the runner, I've never seen one like it! Looks like everyone had a great time. Can't wait to hear about the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ace's pillow is Elaine's foot. He knows how to get close to his mom. The cookies are peanut butter cookies with a peanut butter cup in the center. They were so good!

      Delete
  2. It sounds lovely! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing pictures of your Christmas visit at your sister's house. The flower dog you & Joe gave is is so doggone cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sister's decorations are gorgeous! So glad you had a nice time. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy, What a wonderful time you had at your sister's home. It sure looks festive. I love all of her ornaments and decorations. So glad you could get through all the horrible traffic to get to your sister's home. That little flower dog is so cute. Thanks for sharing your fun Christmas visit with your sister. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is just beautiful! I love those nutcrackers and the tree! Take care and enjoy the week! I got your card! Thank you my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful time with your sister. I wish my sister and I could have gotten together but not this year. I like all her decor...very festive! The food looked great too! Too bad the trip getting there was a trial. I hope your Christmas Eve and day were nice. Have a good rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you got to be with your sister! Everything is really festive and the food, oh yum! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your time there!
    Oh so sorry about the traffic woes. So hard to be tied up is crawling traffic when all you want is just to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A blessed time with your beautiful sister. Glad that you were able to get there in spite of all the road drama.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.