Saturday, December 19, 2020

BLOGMAS DAY 12 -- SNOW AND OTHER THINGS


 Hello, friends!  Welcome back to Blogmas although I have not been very good keeping up with it.  But we all do what we can and I've been very busy.

Thank you for all of your good wishes.  I am feeling MUCH better.  In fact, I am back to myself.  I am feeling secure that I had neither COVID-19 nor the flu.  It was probably a bad cold or allergies.  If it were either of the former, I would not have gotten over it in 4 days.

For the first time in 1,001 days, we had snow in Philly.  Well, measurable snow.  We have had flurries, but nothing that stayed on the ground.  On Wednesday, we had snow.  Lots of snow.  It may not sound like a lot to my northern friends, but we got over 6 inches.  Our average here is 1 inch or less.

Wednesday morning there was a beautiful sunrise.  I was up so I grabbed my camera and took a couple of pictures of it.  The sky was so pretty with the golds and reds.



Who knew that just a few hours later it would look like this?





The snow started around 2:00 p.m.  I even took a little video of it.


About now I can hear all the laughter from my friends to the north in Canada.  But hey, I'm not used to snow.  An inch is a lot to me.

As the day went on it got worse and worse.  These pictures were taken around 4:00 p.m.  I was so thankful for a warm and dry home.


The snow was blowing so much that it was almost going sideways.  Here is another short video taken from my front window with you guys in mind.


Then I went to the back windows to see how the yard was doing.  What a mess!  But at least things were not blown over like it sometimes is when the wind is strong.


I can always tell how badly it is snowing by looking at the holly tree.  Yes, it really is a tree.  So huge.  Over 20 feet tall.  But the leaves are so dark green that I can see the white snow against it.



And another video.  Last one, I promise.


I had a COVID test scheduled for 7:00 p.m. Wednesday night.  At 5:00 p.m. I called the pharmacy and told them there was no way I could get there.  They said they understood and I could go online to reschedule.  There was no way I was going to go out, clean off the car, and make my way over two miles to get to a drive through.  Also, by this time I was feeling much better and had no symptoms at all anymore.

Because it was so gray, I wore these Christmas socks on Wednesday for our snow day.  They were gray too, but with Christmas lights and saying "Merry and Bright".  That's what I needed that day.  Merry and Bright.

Yesterday I went to the back door to get pictures of our yard.  It is so cold!  I didn't stay outside long.  Here is an overview of our yard.  I see that the birdfeeder is empty.  I'll have to get more seed for that.

Although there is a lot of snow on the table, it is much less than it was the day before.

And I don't think I will be sitting on this bench anytime soon.


The other day our fireplace stove stopped working.  It wouldn't turn on at all.  We depend on it quite a bit because it is drafty in our front room.  But looking back we have had it for over 10 years.  Probably about 12 years.  So it really doesn't owe us anything.


My sister gave it to us for Christmas one year.  Poor old thing.  It sure gave us a lot of pleasure and warmth.  But it will be on the curb for trash pickup today.

So Joe and I decided that we would get a new one and make it our Christmas gift to each other.  He searched online, found a good deal and ordered it.  It came yesterday.  We had quite a time unpacking it and setting it up.  It was certainly a joint effort.  But here it is.


All those internet cables!  I want to erase them, but then the internet would not work.  The new stove is so pretty.  We haven't turned it on yet.  I have to learn how to work it.  But today for sure.  It is about 1 inch taller than the old one and 2 inches wider.  But it is not as deep so I can't decorate it as I did the older one.  It's just deep enough for the internet and the phone.  But it's so pretty.

For dinner last night I had pork chops.  I had put them into the refrigerator to defrost two days ago and then didn't use them.  So I had to use them last night.  I took the zucchini I had, sliced it up, added some sliced onions and some mushrooms and cooked it all up in olive oil and butter.  I was tired of mashed potatoes, so I made some baking powder biscuits for our starch.  Everything was so good.


And now I need to go and start my day.  I have so much to do before Christmas and it is coming FAST!

Have a wonderful day, everyone.  I hope to do some blog reading later today.  Please forgive me for not getting around to that lately.  Life is taking over.  See you soon.

Kathy







13 comments:

  1. Those socks are cute! They really can brighten a day. How about that snow? Russ went to work but told me to stay in. I tried shoveling later but only succeeded in breaking the shovel! So Russ will probably go to Lowes/Home Depot today & get a new one. I got some salt on my errands yesterday so that'll help. I miss the days young people would come around & offer shovel for a few dollars :( The snow looks so pretty when it's undisturbed...The videos turned out well. Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers
    I have that top you are wearing...
    Love love your blog
    Merry Christmas
    Am still isolating

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are feeling better! YAY! And the snow looks very pretty. I found a webcam for Philly and watched it the last few days. They kept the streets clear and it looked beautiful. holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very glad that you are feeling so much better. Also glad that you ordered up another fireplace. It looks very nice. I have a little heater in my front room. It really helps to ward off the chill. Your garden looks quite winter lovely wearing all that white. Six inches is about what my corner received from that storm. I am not laughing...that was plenty! ❄️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to hear you are feeling better!! Really cute sweater and I love the videos.No snow in Texas! It's not even very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy. Fun pictures of the snow. We had a little bit here and a little more expected this weekend but not near what those in upstate New York got. I love your little yard! I like small, manageable yards. Our little heater stove, like yours, quit working and I want to get another one as well, so maybe we will work on that this weekend. I am sure glad you are feeling better now. I will look forward to your next post and I think I will listen to your pastor on Facebook later today. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're feeling better.❤ Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good that you are feeling so much better. I love your new stove. I wish you many years of warmth with it. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Living in southern Calif., that looks like a lot of snow to me but oh so cozy. Glad to see the video of it falling. Also, it's great news you are feeling better and it wasn't covid. It's a worry of all of us even if we've only been to the grocery store. Look forward to your blog posts. Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have wondered how you were doing with that storm. I heard on the weather channel how this is the first snow in a few years in your area. I hope it's better now so you can get out and do what you need to with Christmas plans. I'm glad you're feeling better. One of these days the vaccine will be available and hopefully get things back on track. Take care and enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter lives in Philly (Bucks County) and she spent Tuesday getting fresh batteries, charging her phone and laptop and then was sending me pictures all day Wednesday. It was beautiful and she was thankful she works from home now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you get sick again, get tested...unless you and your husband are totally isolating...it is not easy but we can do it...prayers...I love love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm late at reading your posts. Life is getting me too! Your stove is so pretty! How nice that you found one so easily to replace the old one.
    It's been so cold here that the snow hasn't melted at all. The temps are to go up for a day or so though. Is your snow still around?
    Take care. Glad you are feeling better again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.