Friday, December 6, 2019

BLOGMAS DAY 6 -- ST. NICHOLAS DAY


Do you celebrate St. Nicholas Day?  I first found out about this day when I read "Christmas in the Netherlands."  It was one of a series of Christmas Around the World books that I subscribed to for years.  Finally I cancelled my subscription when they began to redo the countries I already had.  But I have about 20 or so of these beautiful books.  I really like the idea of separating the commercial part of Christmas from the religious part.

According to what I read, St. Nicholas and his companion, Black Pete, live in Spain most of the year, but come to the Netherlands on his feast day (today) where he will stay until Christmas.  He is greeted by the mayor and given a parade through town.  


Black Pete puts any bad children in his bag and threatens to take them away to Spain.  So children are very good when they see him coming.  

Like our Santa in America, children will go to see St. Nicholas, assure him that they have been good all year, and tell him what they want for Christmas.  In return, on the night of December 5 St. Nicholas will put some treats in the shoes they leave out for him.  Some small candies, an orange, some cookies, a small toy.  When the children wake up on December 6, they find their treats in their shoes.  Such a nice tradition.

St. Nicholas was a real person.  He lived from 270 to 345 A.D.  He was the Bishop of Myra (present day Demre) in Turkey.  Both of his parents died when he was still a young man and he inherited quite a bit of money which he used to anonymously help the poor.  But his deeds were found out and it inspired people to help others, a custom that has continued to the present day.  What a wonderful man he must have been.


Joe and I always give each other a small gift on St. Nicholas Day.  One year it was socks.  Another a set of mugs.  Often it is candy and that's what it was today.  Goldberg's Peanut Chews for him and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups for me.


I've also been working on the blanket for Mary, my sister-in-law.  Each day I add one wide stripe and one narrow one.  I figure I can get it done by the 15th.  Here is what it looked like this morning before I put today's stripes on.


I took the fall decorations out of the front window today but haven't put up the Christmas lights yet.  Hopefully tomorrow.  I want to get the door done also.

I bought Joe a hoagie for dinner but I didn't eat anything.  I am still feeling sick.  I don't know what is wrong with me but I don't want to eat.  I feel pretty good in the morning and will eat breakfast, but as the day goes on I feel worse and worse.  I hope this goes away soon.

So since I am not feeling great, I am just going to end now.  Hope your Advent Season is going great.

Kathy






7 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy - very interesting information about St. Nicholas and St. Nicholas Day! I didn't know much about St. Nicholas Day. I think it is neat that you and your husband exchange small gifts on that day. I love the afghan you are making - so colorful! Get feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nifty idea to get a little gift on St. Nicholas Day. I remember loving to read about Christmas traditions around the world. Take it easy. I trust that whatever this bug is that it will be over asap. You must be tired and tired of it. Sleep well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really found the story of St Nicholas interesting. The part of you & Joe exchanging gifts is so neat! I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Hope whatever is wrong goes away! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to learn about the traditions of other countries. The nursing home I'm employed by is owned by the Hungarian Reformed Church so there are a lot of Hungarian traditions...like gold-painted walnuts on the Christmas tree and on Christmas Eve the residents put their shoes outside their doors and St. Nicholas (I think that's who they say it is) leaves a bag of goodies in them. The residents really look forward to it and some try to catch him! It's lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kathy, for sharing all the information about St Nicholas and the sweet tradition you and Joe share. What a bummer not to be feeling well at this often hectic time. I hope that you will be feeling better in a few days as I know how much you enjoy the holiday. Thanks for your recent visit and comment on our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Christmas history stories too. Your blanket is coming along nicely. As for the candy, I'll have the Reese's thank you. You have a wonderful day, and I hope you are feeling better soon. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.