Tuesday, December 17, 2019

BLOGMAS DAY 13 -- A MONDAY MAGAZINE ON A TUESDAY (AGAIN!)



Hello, friends!  Hope you are having a good day.  First of all, I want to thank you all for coming along on Blogmas with me -- even though I haven't been posting every day.  Some days are just like that.  And thank you for all the kind comments you have been leaving for me.  I'm so glad that you love this blog.  I so enjoy creative writing and this certainly gives me an outlet for that.  I was even on the staff of my high school newspaper.  I do love to write.

Yesterday I meant to show you another magazine.  I had the post all planned out and then forgot and did something else.  Duh!  So here is the post I meant to give to you yesterday.  The magazine is Country Home from December 2000.


December 2000?  When I saw this I thought, "Why in the world would I have a magazine this old?"  Of course it had articles on beautiful houses like these.


This room is in a house that a couple built by putting two antique log cabins together.  The place was beautiful and so unique with walls and floors from the 1850s.


And this pretty New England farmhouse.  But I've had other magazines with pretty houses and I didn't keep them for 19 years.

Even this garden with a cupola that is used as decoration wouldn't be enough to make me keep the magazine.


I thought I would pass it on, or even sell it on ebay because it is so old, when I suddenly saw why I kept it.  Here is an article with six different kinds of soup to make along with all the recipes.


Chicken Meatball Noodle Soup.  Roasted Butternut Squash Soup.  Italian Country Soup.  Sounds wonderful.

But then, to make it even better the next article was on cookies from around the world.



Austrian, Polish, German, Norwegian, Spanish, French.  On and on they went.  Enough recipes for me to make a cookie from a different country for an entire year.

So I am keeping this magazine.  But I am moving it from my pile to read in the spare bedroom to the kitchen where I can reference it.  It's so exciting to find all of these new recipes.

As usual with the Country Home magazines I am going to show you the last page.  They always have a gorgeous illustration.  This one is no exception.



Winter Garden Photograph by Ian McWilliam

Framed by evergreen topiaries and the remains of last season's trumpet vines, a glimpse through a garden gate reveals a universal truth:  Snow may conceal the promise of next year's bounty, but winter is just another season in a cycle of endless growth.

And with that I am going back to addressing my Christmas cards so that I can get them into the mail tomorrow.  Then I will put in a load of wash, bake some cookies, load the dishwasher, iron some clothes and make dinner.  I will feel really good if I can get all of that done this afternoon.  Hope you have a productive day too.

Kathy









4 comments:

  1. Don't know which I like better,the log house or the garden.Both are beautiful. I'd love to be sitting in your kitchen sniffing those baking cookies! Your posts are always interesting & I learn something each time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy. It is always fun to rediscover recipes isn't it? I like to write too, and was on my high school newspaper staff as well. Good memories and lots of fun! Those homes in those magazines are so fun and cozy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could staple a note to the front cover of this magazine that reads "RECIPES". Every now and then I come across an old copy of a magazine that I like to keep too. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had an ambitious schedule. How’d it go? Glad that you are keeping that magazine... I used to tear out such pages and place in plastic and then into a three-ring notebook. But you should see that notebook and I can hardly lift it! 🙃 Hope that today has been a good one...I am about a third of the way through my long list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.