Saturday, April 4, 2020

WHAT'S FOR DINNER?


Hello, friends.  Happy Saturday!  It is a little overcast today, but the sun is doing it's best to break through the clouds.  Maybe this afternoon will be brighter.

It has been difficult to be creative with my cooking this week.  We mostly have chicken thighs and pork chops.  How to make them different and appetizing?  It has been a challenge for sure.  And the fact that my back keeps going out when I am cooking does not help at all!  Yes, folks, I am officially falling apart.

Let me show you what we had for dinner this week.

Last Saturday we had spinach and cheese tortellini with marinara sauce and meatballs.  A nice change.


Sunday was a fried chicken thigh, baked potato, and a fresh salad with Zesty Italian dressing.  Yum!  You can see we used our new Easter bunny plates.


I have a little chalkboard in the kitchen that I put the day's menu on.  I've been putting the day and date on it too because, frankly, I sometimes can't remember what day it is.  And to be cute, I put Jack's menu on it too.  So as you can see, on Monday, March 30th Joe and I had meatloaf, mashed potatoes and broccoli.  Jack had Poultry Platter.  Ha, ha!



On Tuesday, I took some turkey stock and leftovers in the fridge and made soup.  I put in a left over chicken thigh, left over veggies and some egg noodles.  I also made some baking powder biscuits to go with it.


Wednesday we had a pork chop cooked in the air fryer with garlic butter, some mashed potatoes and some Brussels sprouts fried in olive oil and butter with salt and pepper.  My favorite way to have Brussels sprouts.  So good!


On Thursday I got my pension check and like every month, we ordered out.  We got a pepperoni pizza and some chicken wings from Dominoes.  It came really quickly too.  It was nice to have a night off from trying to decide what to cook.

Last night I tried a new recipe that I saw on "Good Morning America."  Chef Michael Symon was making a pasta recipe that he said was very forgiving and you could make with whatever you had in the house.  He made it with rigatoni, but all I had was penne. It was so good!  I mean really good.  And easy too.  It is going into my menu rotation.  I am going to give you the recipe next week.  It was easy to make too, and didn't take very long to put together.  The thing that took the longest was cooking the pasta.


And that's it for this week.  Hope I have given you some menu ideas.

Stay safe everyone.  This can't last forever.

Kathy




13 comments:

  1. You have such yummy looking meals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your menu on the board. So so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Looking forward to the recipe next week! 💖

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your food looks delicious! We had brussel sprouts this week too. Christy roasts them with bacon and seasoning (not sure what) and they are SO good! We haven't gotten takeout at all yet. Ellen is getting tired of homemade food =)
    Please take care. Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always give me good ideas. I'm with you - it is hard to be different and creative with food. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing your menus! Russ doesn't care for brussel sprouts but I may try your way soon. I like them.I love almost any kind of biscuit,where's the line? I broke uo some leftover biscuits & layered them with beef stew. Russ took them for lunch & raved over it! Keep the ideas coming!
    Stay safe! Hugs & prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your menu sounds delicious. Keep posting them. Stay safe and have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your meals look very yummy. I did a little inventory this morning to see what meals we can make this week. We won't be getting groceries again for awhile, I'm afraid. Take care...both of you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drooling over the dinner you made from Chef Michael Symon! Looking forward to the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to the recipe that made the cut for weekly menus. I am restocked with chicken, chicken, chicken. You must not look forward to making meals if your back is so wonky. Does it help to set one foot a little higher on an inverted pan or something. (My sister told me that once and I've never forgotten it.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a good menu! My hubby and I sit down every Sat. morning and make out a menu and then shop. It saves me running to the store during the week and wondering what to fix. You have some good ideas here and they look yummy! Stay safe and healthy and hopefully this will soon be over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are making me hungry, as I need to eat something asap! I just got back after talking with a friend who made a mask for me. i have made soup from leftovers too. Why not soup!!! Did that years ago as well. Hope your back feels better soon. Take care! God be with you in this time of staying home. We got Dennys for lunch and curbside pick up now. Looking forward to eating there again since it was remodeled and opened up after the covid-19 came here where we stay home, stay safe order was set up. Oh well, thankful restaurants are able to do that. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.