Wednesday, April 15, 2020

GROCERY HAUL


Hello, friends.  Do you have trouble keeping track of the days?  I do.  Especially now where each day is the same as the one before.  And the one before that.

Yesterday was a little different though.  My friend, Donna, does not have a car and has not been able to go food shopping for four weeks.  She was out of almost everything.  I have been trying to go only once a month because of all the things going on.  And since Tuesday is Senior Discount Day at Shoprite, I offered to take her with me.  I picked her up in the early afternoon and we headed for the store.

The parking lot was crowded when we got there.  I thought, "that's not a good sign."  And when we got out of the car, the line to go into the store was across the entire front of the building and went down the side to the back.  As one person left the store, they would let another in.  Donna and I looked at each other, but we were there.  I decided that because I have trouble standing if it was too long, I would just go back and wait in the car for her.  But it moved surprisingly fast and we were only in line about 3 minutes before we were given a cart, a disinfecting wipe, and headed into the store.

Oh, by the way, we have to wear masks in order to enter any store in Philadelphia these days.  So Donna and I had our masks on before we got out of the car.

We split up and agreed to meet back at the car.  I found most of the things I wanted, but there were many things that just were not available.  I will show you, however, the things I was able to get.


This was not on my list, but when I saw the yogurt was $1 each, I decided to get it as something different to have for breakfast.  I like most of the Chobani flips.  Joe and I both like the Almond Coco Loco.  I got two of them.  And two of the Peach Cobbler.  We haven't tried that one, but it sounded good.  I got one of the Peanut Dream, and one of a new one I wanted to try -- Peanut Butter Cup.  I told Joe to leave that one for me.


I found the frozen French fries with no problem.  They had different styles and sizes too.  The vegetables were a different story.  They were not on sale this week, but I got some anyway.  Winter Blend which is broccoli and cauliflower, California Blend, and Baby Lima Beans.


We were really low on meat.  All I had were pork chops and chicken.  So I got ground beef and a package of meatloaf mix.  Joe asked for lunchmeat and cheese.  The deli counter was closed.  But they had deli meat sliced and put into sealed bags.  I lot low salt bologna and low salt ham.  The cheese is lactose free because of my allergy.  And I got a small container of macaroni salad for dinner last night.


I got a package of sushi which we had for lunch today.  I was almost out of olive oil so I got a bottle.  It wasn't too expensive either.


I was completely out of onions, so was able to get that.  I also got some asparagus and four tomatoes.


A bag of sourdough pretzels for Joe and a bag of no salt added chips for me.  We have to have something to snack on.


We were out of trash bags.  I wanted to get two boxes -- one for upstairs and one for downstairs -- but there was only one box left on the shelf.  You know I got it.  I wanted dry cat food for the outside cats, but there was nothing.  I wanted litter for Jack's box, but there was none.  Only a few bags of treats so I got one.  And almost no canned cat food.  I got three of a brand I have never used before.  It was twice the price I usually pay, but I had to have something to feed him.


I got two egg rolls to go with the sushi for lunch today.  Everything is packaged at the hot bar now.  And I got a rotisserie chicken for dinner last night.  I thought it was a good break from cooking and only cost $4.99 for dinner.


I bought a package of frozen flounder fillets.  I wanted fresh fish.  I stood at the counter waiting and waiting.  There were a lot of people there and only one employee behind the counter trying to take care of everyone.  And very little fish to choose from.  After waiting about 10 minutes, I left and went to the frozen section.  It's not my choice, but it will have to do.  I also got two bags of meatballs.  I use them a lot with pasta dishes and we are eating a lot of pasta these days.


There was only one package of paper towels on the shelf and I was fortunate enough to get it.  We were almost out.  I have never heard of Bumble Bee Chicken Broth.  Tuna, yes.  But not chicken broth.  But it was only 88 cents and I know I can use it.  I also got a refill for the air freshener in the bathroom.  Fresh linen scent this time.


More meat.  I told you we were almost out.  I got brown sugar and honey sausage.  My favorite.  Joe doesn't like sausage, so it's all mine.  I also got a ham steak, stewing beef, beef franks, and low salt bacon.


The ketchup was also hard to find.  Just a few bottles left.  And just a few hot dog and hamburger rolls left.


Another treat for us.  The apple Danish were on sale so we had a couple for last night's dessert.  There are four left for a couple more desserts too.  And then I got Milano cookies for Joe.  The dark chocolate ones are his favorites.  And I got the Bordeaux cookies for me.  It looks as if we got a lot of junk food, but it has to last us for a month.

I also got a bunch of bananas which I forgot to photograph.

I feel much better having a full freezer again.  We certainly will not go hungry and we are very thankful for that.

I am finding that by shopping just once a month, I am saving money.  It takes some maneuvering, but until things get back to normal I just can't face shopping a lot.

How is it at your stores?  Are you shopping more or less?  Or is it about the same?  I'd love to know.

Have a good night, everyone!

Kathy




11 comments:

  1. You sure did a big grocery shopping trip. due to my age I don't go in stores and am using Instacart where they shop for me and bring it to my house. Very convenient. I give a big tip because I appreciate the work the shopper drivers do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did really good! Just like with the fish,I've found I've had to make choices.I am thankful that a few of the little stores around here have most of what I need. My fridge would not hold enough for me to shop monthly.I did go to Shop Rite on Tuesday & waited in line about 15-20 minutes. Wasn't too bad. While shelves were empty of some things, I was able to get ground beef,chips,& lima beans. I so wanted those. Continue to stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Lancaster County we aren’t required to wear masks (yet) in stores. We go very early to avoid crowds and hopefully shop in a cleaner, better stocked store. We go once a week. One reason is there are limits on certain items: TP, eggs, & milk. Your groceries look good Kathy. And I know what you mean about keeping track of the days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As we would say in the south, 'you got a haul' for sure. Glad you found some of the things you needed and some extras as well. We go to store about once every 2 weeks and restock. So far, we have been lucky to find the things we need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not shopping at all. My kids do all the shopping for me. Come May 1, I will be shopping again because I have had enough of this isolation. Enough is enough! Your shopping haul is very impressive. Well done. I am glad that you were able to help your friend. It might earn you a $500 fine here. Our gov is one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kathy, for sharing your shopping experience which you detailed well in this post. We are going shopping about every 2 weeks and like you try to keep a supply. We most run out of juice, milk and veggies. So far, the grocery stores here have not run out of many things, except some paper and cleaning products. We have been able to find most things, thankfully. There are senior shopping hours now but they are in the earlier morning and my husband would rather stay in bed than go out then. So, we go later and so far have not had to stand in any lines. We do wear our homemade bandana face masks. Our next shopping excursion will be before this coming weekend. It was very nice of you to take your friend, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it strange to grocery shop these days....my husband goes for us...I have not been in about one month....oh dear let;s hope we all cope in the coming days....stay well and safe Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing Kathy, we live in a rural setting, no town or city, the closest town is about 20 miles away. Our lives have not changed that much. Our county has had 11 cases of covid and only 2 have been hospitalized and are now recovered. Our stores got hit hard at the beginning of this but now have settled down and I can find everything I need. No lines, just have to follow the arrows when we enter. We are country folk you might say, so our meat comes from a neighbor who has a family run meat packing business, eggs, chicken and rabbit from a another neighbor,our garden is giving us lettuce, radishes, zucchinni, beets, onions,and potatoes will be ready soon and we have ponds, rivers and great hunting ground all around us. I can always fry up a squirrel or catfish over an open fire. lol Everyone is still working but have adjusted to staying 6 feet apart and wearing masks but all of our family gatherings are on hold. I read your blog regularly and love your sharing your city life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are definitely shopping less here. I know it's necessary right now, but I really hate wearing a mask. Not just because it's physically uncomfortable, but because it is so odd to interact with people without using facial expression to communicate. These are odd times in so many ways.

    Nonetheless, it is good to be able to stock up on the things you need! I know we're all making do with the things in our pantries/freezers, but you do need to get supplies now and then. (And cat food!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandson loves those flips yogurt too. On Tuesday we got two rotisserie chickens in our Wegman's delivery....last time we didn't get any. Had it for dinner that night.
    I don't have a mask and now we must wear one to go anywhere. Haven't really been going anywhere so I've been ok. Guess we will figure it out if I do need to go to a store. I am getting a little weary of staying home all the time!!
    Praying this will soon be over but know it can't be rushed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've not been shopping much. I did get what I needed the other week at Trader Joe's before I went a Dr appt. They had less cereal, less cheese so had to buy a different one. Megan couldn't find me any Kleenex for me nor gloves I wanted. Oh well we do have enuf food for awhile. Glad you got food you could use. Take care. Hop over to my blog once in awhile. Miss your comments. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.