Thursday, April 16, 2020

THE THURSDAY GARDEN



Hello, friends!  The sun is shining although it is only 42*F (5.5*C) outside.  The weather report just said it will go down near freezing tonight.  This is April weather?  But at least it can't last forever.  Spring is here and summer won't be that far behind.

My yard looks springlike at least.  I went outside yesterday and took some pictures for you.  The only thing I did not get was the pink hyacinths.  They bloomed, were beautiful, and then went away.

I keep saying I have to get out there and cut the grass.  But I really have no grass.  The yard is covered with wild violets.  Very pretty.  But it is getting so high.  The weather this week is going to be cold, so I am waiting until next week to bring out the weed wacker.


The tulips were so pretty, but that terrible windstorm we had the other day left them battered.  They are still beautiful to me, though.


Tulips are my favorite flower.  I love reading about how in Holland at one time people would give a fortune to purchase a single bulb.  Tulip fever it was called.


There are a few grape hyacinths sprinkled here and there around the yard.  They are a much deeper purple than in this picture.  Try as I might, I could not get them to photograph in their true color.


But what I am most excited about is for the first time my lilac bush has flowers!  My sister gave me a plant a few years ago.  It was just a stick and I had no hope of it living.  In fact, there were four and three of them died.  But this one held on.  And now look at it.


I am beyond thrilled with the four flowers that it has.  And I saw buds for other blooms coming.  I love lilacs.  Growing up my grandmother had a huge bush in the yard.  She would cut large bouquets of this wonderful smelling flower to bring into the house.  Spring would always smell of lilacs.  Such wonderful memories.  I can't wait to recreate them.


Hope you enjoyed this view of springtime and that it gave you a smile.  I will be bringing you more garden pictures as we go along and more plants come into bloom.  What a wonderful time of year.

Kathy



10 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy! I enjoyed your post! The pictures of your flowers are so encouraging! A sign of things getting back to normal soon!. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers are beautiful. I've only had one daffodil bloom. But that's okay. It was beautiful. You stay safe and have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your flowers. I have lilac bushes, but I haven't notices any flowers yet. Ours usually blooms in May I think. They smell so good and are so pretty!!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your lilacs are so pretty! I'm hoping to get a few this year but this cold spell could do away with that chance. We had huge bushes at our former home. Sniff yours for me just in case ☺
    Take care, Kathy. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really do have some beautiful Spring flowers! They are always such pretty colors! Hope the cold doesn't bother them! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lilac is delightful. I am surprised by how far south this chilly weather goes. Your weather is no warmer than mine these days . Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Easter late and Happy Passover, I always look for your blog and pray you and your wonderful hubs are healthy & happy and full of your yummy foods you lovingly prepare..It is unseasonably warm here in Washington state and I can only imagine it will be so dadblasted hot, I think of people who don't believe in a hell and I can really only imagine it feeling like that this spring and summer..but at least we are alive and I do believe in our Heavenly Father but I just get so dadblasted upset with cruel and heartless people who have no idea of an Heavenly Father and salvation..you have a sweet disposition and sweet spirit..take good care of yourself and your hubs I know you and yours will be surrounded by our Heavenly Fathers loving embrace....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy. I love the flowers in your yard. I think tulips are my favorite flowers too. We have had a cold week here as well with temps in the 20 expected tonight. Hope you have a good Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! I only had one of my many hyacinths come up & now that's going. Glad yours are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful! We've had cold weather too and it doesn't feel like Spring yet, but I know it's coming. Ohhhh my goodness... I love lilacs! We have so many lilac bushes, but none have bloomed, quite yet! Ours usually Spring open in May! Seeing your picture - I can almost smell their heavenly fragrance! enjoy their beauty! :)

    Blessings on your day!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.