Wednesday, April 8, 2020

ARE YOU READY FOR DINNER? -- PASTA WITH PEAS AND BACON


Hello, friends!  How are you all doing?  Today was such a beautiful day.  There was bright sun and it was up to 74*F (23*C).  I had a doctor's appointment today and even put the air conditioner on in the car.

My appointment went so well.  She gave me a different blood pressure medication which I start in a couple of weeks after I wean myself off of the one I am on now.  She also spent 30 minutes with me talking about my last blood test, the ear ache I have, my general health and the coronavirus.  When I left I was feeling so much better about things.  It was a very profitable appointment.

I went to Rite Aid to get the medicine, but it wasn't ready.  I can get it on Friday.  But I found...  toilet paper.  Even though we don't need it immediately, I got a package.  We might not be able to find it when we do need it.  I also got some Easter candy.  I would show it to you, but I took the picture on my tablet and it is out of power so I can't download the pictures.  I will do it later though.

So many people have asked me for the recipe I got off of Good Morning America for Michael Symon's pasta.  I found it at https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/food/story/silky-glossy-pasta-peas-bacon-chef-michael-symon-69955026.  But let me show you how I did it.  This is how I copied it down as he was doing it.  The full recipe is at the link above.

The good thing about this recipe is that you can substitute whatever you have in the house.  It is great for using up things or for times like now when you can't always get to the store.  And that is just what I did.

MICHAEL SYMON'S PASTA WITH PEAS AND BACON


Take one half pound of bacon, slice it into small pieces and fry it.  I had five slices left which wasn't quite a half pound, but I made do and it was just right.  If you don't have bacon, you can use ham, hot dogs, whatever.


Boil one pound of rigatoni.  I didn't have rigatoni, but I had half a box of penne.  That's what I used.  I didn't need a pound of pasta anyway with just the two of us.

Add 1 cup of peas to the pasta.  I had frozen so that is what I used.  And I added only one-half cup.



Add 2 cloves of minced garlic.  I didn't have any garlic, so I used garlic powder.


Add about 6 ounces of pasta water to the bacon mixture.

In a small bowl beat three eggs.


Add 1/2 cup of a hard cheese.  I had shredded cheddar, so that's what I used.  I didn't even measure.  I just threw about four handfuls into the bowl.


Add parsley, pepper, nutmeg, and extra virgin olive oil.  I didn't measure any of these either.  I just put in what I thought would taste good.  The original recipe calls for mint but I didn't have any and I don't like it anyway, so I used parsley.


Temper the egg mixture with some of the pasta water.

Put the cooked pasta into the bacon mixture.  Mix together.  Then put in the egg mixture and stir together until the eggs are cooked.


Spoon onto a plate and top with more cheese and olive oil.


It was so good!  I have to get more pasta when I go food shopping next week and make it again.

If you try it, please let me know if you like it.

And now it's time to get ready for bed.  I will talk to you soon.

Kathy




6 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy. That does look good! I just need to get some frozen peas. I am so glad your doctor appointment went well. You and Joe stay well and I will see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So happy the doctor was able to talk to you & adjust your medication.Yesterday was so beautiful! Russ left work to come home & saw a DOUBLE rainbow! It really lifted his mood. God's promise!
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your doctor visit went well. As for the pasta, no thanks. I don't like stuff mixed in with my pasta. The meat and veggies go on one plate, and the pasta and cheese on another. I guess it's each to his own. Stay safe and have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy, glad to read that the doctor appointment went well and hope the new medication works well. Thanks for sharing this recipe which I also saw online and was thinking about trying as it looks easy and nice that you can sub out ingredients with what you have available. Stay safe and be well as we are also doing here in NH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found toilet paper....well that's good to know! I hope we can find it here soon. Love that recipe! Looks SO tasty! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.