Saturday, April 18, 2020

FROM MY PHOTO ALBUM -- THE PHILADELPHIA ZOO


Hello, friends.  How has your Saturday been?  Not much going on here.  I actually spent a great deal of time going through my knitting patterns and trying to decide what to make to use up some of this yarn I have.  I ended up with patterns for two summer tops.  I also ordered new knitting needles in the sizes I needed, and a cake of yarn.  They are coming on the 26th so I am holding off starting these patterns until I get them.  Can't wait to show you the yarn!

It is not as if I have nothing else to do.  I am still working on my temperature blanket which is coming along beautifully.  I really love it this year.  I am also making a stole which is so pretty.  I will be showing you pictures soon.

But the pictures I want to show you today are from August 1985.  So long ago.  It is from a trip I took to the Philadelphia Zoo.  This is before I had a car.  I used to hop onto two buses and be there in about an hour.  I did it quite a bit because I love the Zoo.  But these days, the neighborhood has become changed and the fee for parking and the entrance to the Zoo is so expensive.  I haven't been there in years.

Let me show you these old photos.  I found so many old photos and I will be showing them to you now and then.  It is so interesting to look back on things.



Can you see the peacocks by the fence?



Such a lovely lake they have.


Here is an otter.



Another picture of the otter.



Camels.  They are saddled because you can ride on them.



My favorite animal is the polar bear.  They are in an enclosure that has windows below the water where you can watch them swim.



Another shot of the polar bear.



Flamingos.



A wolf.


Here's a rhinoceros.


Giraffes.  It's hard to see, but they are there.


Here are some crocodiles.


A Galapagos tortoise.  This is always a popular spot at the Zoo.


And finally a llama.

I have a hard time believing these were taken 35 years ago.  Really?  And they turned out so much better when I made a digital copy of them than the originals are.

There were a few other photos too that I didn't put up.  My friend Debbie was with me that day.  I have a picture of her that I took and a picture of me that she took.  They will never see the light of day.  I will say, though, that at 31 years old we were both much thinner than we are now.

Hope you enjoyed your trip through the Zoo.  Maybe you can visit in person sometime.  It's much different these days, but still a wonderful place to go.

Kathy



11 comments:

  1. I love those old photos! And I've always enjoyed going to the zoo, thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the look back. The zoo has really changed since then,especially the Children's Zoo part.So many animals are no longer a part of the zoo sea lion,seals,petting zoo....Still worth the trip! As members,I just like walking among the plants,maybe grabbing a bite, being away from the noise & just watching the children...Thanks for the look back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me laugh with the "they will never see the light of day." That's how I feel about the vast majority of my pictures. Perhaps it is time for another visit to the zoo. So many things must have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy. It's so fun to look at pictures from fun times in the past. I didn't go to the Philadelphia zoo the summer I was there. I spent most of my sight seeing time, which was limited, at the historic places. I loved seeing all of the places where our nation began. My daughter and son-in-law took the kids to the zoo one day. I do remember that the neighborhood around the zoo was pretty sketchy. When we lived in Southern California, we went to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park a lot. We would go on Christmas Eve because it was warm, and that became part of our family Christmas tradition. Good memories. There is a very nice zoo in Salt Lake City, but I haven't been since we lived here when my daughters were small. Hope your weekend is going well. Have a good Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love visiting the zoo. However, I don't get out all that often anymore. It's always wonderful to take a trip through our memories with photos. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s good to go back in time to see our life then and the things we did! All through photos! Aren’t you glad you took them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the zoo! I went to Colchester Zoo with my friend one time and it was great. My favourite animal that I saw was the red panda but I've never seen a polar bear before. I'll have to visit your famous Philadelphia zoo in person!💜☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was fun! I know we were there in 1981 but can't remember if I was there since. We went several times when I was a kid. I just remember how much different it looked to me as an adult than as a child, felt so much smaller!
    Please take care, my friend! Stay well! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely zoo !
    I watch The Zoo on Animal Planet every Saturday night, just get so engrossed in watching their keepers and how dedicated they are to the animals.
    Thank you for sharing Kathy, I hope you are staying well.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your comment about the photos that will never see the light of day made me laugh! I have a few of those myself! In fact, my sister has been collecting photos for years to put in an album titled The Hall of Shame. She hasn't done it yet, which is probably a good thing. :)

    I visited the Philadelphia Zoo once. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law lived outside of Philadelphia at the time and he took us on an outing to the zoo. My son was a high school junior and Kati was five, so that's been (yikes!) twenty-one years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've been to the NC zoo a few times and my favorite animal there was the polar bear! I could have watched him all day long! Thanks for the photos you've shared! Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.