Sunday, October 28, 2018

SUNDAY PRAISE -- A MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD

Today is Reformation Sunday.  It is celebrated on the Sunday before October 31st, Reformation Day.  This is the anniversary of the day Martin Luther nailed his 95 thesis to the door of Wittenburg Cathedral beginning the Protestant Reformation.

The hymn we will begin our church service with this morning is Luther's famous hymn "A Mighty Fortress is Our God."  Luther wrote the words and composed the melody sometime between 1527 and 1529.  It is a paraphrase of Psalm 46 except for the last stanza which comes from Luther's own life experiences.  The most commonly used English translation was done in 1857 by Frederick H. Hedge.

Hymnary.org says:
This hymn is often referred to as "the battle hymn" of the Reformation.  Many stories have been relayed about its use.  Albert Bailey tells us that it was sung in the streets and by poor Protestants on their way to exile or going to their death.  Gustavus Adolphus ordered it sung by his army before the battle of Leipzig in 1631 and again at Lutzen in 1632.  It has also had a part in countless celebrations commemorating the men and events of the Reformation.  The first line of this hymn is engraved on the base of Luther's monument at Wittenberg.

This hymn is not polished and artistic but rugged and strong like Luther himself.  It is a hymn close to the hearts of Lutherans and other Protestants as a source of assurance in times of duress and persecution.  Not just actual physical battles, but in any time of need, when we do battle with the forces of evil, God is our fortress to hide us and protect us, and the Word that endures forever will fight for us.

And now let's hear the hymn itself.  I know it will be familiar to all of you.


Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!

Kathy

10 comments:

  1. A truly strong & beautiful hymn.I appreciate your giving the history as it makes the words that much clearer.Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this hymn too and it was interesting to read the history behind it. Have a good Sunday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember this song echoing from the walls of our church when I was a kid. It is a rugged, strong song, Kathy.
    Happy, blessed Sunday to you and Joe! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a beautiful, powerful song! I love all the old hymns. We grew up singing them in church and hearing them now fills my heart and soul with great joy!

    Thank you for sharing, Kathy!

    Blessings dear friend, Net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading the history of the hymn. It's beautiful. You have an awesome day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved that song! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your post before I went to church. We too, sang A Might Fortress Is Our God, but I would never of know the history behind it, if I didn't read your post!
    I even shared the history with my grand daughter (we sit next to each other). So thank you for the history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We sang that hymn in church where I grew up. I've not sung it in some time though. Thanks for sharing the history!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness, I grew up singing that song. The kids and young folks of today will likely never hear or know such great old songs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That blessed me. I have always liked the hymn for it’s strong, measured beat. Haven’t paid as much attention to the words though they are equally strong and beautiful. Truth!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.