Thursday, October 25, 2018

RECIPE -- APPLE FRITTERS


It has been a beautiful day here today.  Nice and sunny and sort of warm.  I even turned the stove off because the house was finally warm.

Joe is not feeling well, so we cancelled Bible Study for tonight.  Poor guy, he gets well for a few days and then it starts all over again.  I hope he can eat dinner.

I have one apple left, so I thought I would make apple fritters.  This is something my grandmother would do all the time when I was growing up.  When you don't have lots to eat and no money, you make food s-t-r-e-t-c-h.  And we do and my sister and I still know how to.  I don't want to waste an apple, so that's what's for dinner.

I found my grandmother's cookbook from 1903 online.  Hers has long since gone.  It's so nice to see all the old recipes again.  So here is her recipe for apple fritters.  No, I do not use lard, I cook mine in olive oil.  And they call for yeast powder which today is called baking powder.  But I find old recipes so fascinating.

Apple Fritters
     1 cup flour                          2 eggs 
     1/2 teaspoon salt                1 tablespoon sugar 
     1 level teaspoon Rumford  About 1 cup milk
          Yeast Powder                2 tart apples. 

Sift together the flour, salt and yeast powder; add the eggs, lightly beaten, then the sugar and milk; mix smoothly and beat the batter well; add the apples, pared, cored and cut into thin slices. Have ready in a frying pan a little lard, smoking hot; drop the fritters into it, cook until golden brown on both sides and the fruit is tender. Drain on soft paper, and serve with butter and sugar or with syrup. 

Yum!  I will share some more of the recipes from this book in the future.  There are some really good dishes that no one cooks anymore.

Let me know if you try this.  I'm going to go make mine now.

Kathy


10 comments:

  1. Kathy, That sounds good...I just don't do much mixing up things any more. I cook simply..and avoid frying. I have to fix a lunch tomorrow for my daughter, granddaughter and the greatgrands. Well you know kids are so picking any more. I am making the little guys chicken nuggets and baked fries. Hope they like that. LOL Blessings, take care of Joe, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good and easy. Show us a picture when they are done. Hope Joe feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these old recipes too..or receipts they were sometimes called. I made some fried pies last week and they sure turned out good. Hope Joe feels better soon! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apple fritter sounds like Fall!! Thanks for sharing the memory and the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it sounds wonderful. Were they as wonderful as you imagined they would be?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like hearing about the older recipes though I'm more about the stews meat & potatoes stuff). I do remember that as a little girl when pies were made,I was allowed to 'make chicken feet'by putting a few holes in the crust to vent.Poor Joe...I hope he beats this & feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds quite tasty. Post a photo of them when they are done. Have you thought of getting an air fryer? Might be fun. I hope Joe is feeling better soon. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't grow up with apple fritters but mom made apple dumplings. Her apple dumpling was an apple pie with a top crust that we ate hot with milk. I liked it then but I'd never choose to put milk on anything now, eww! Hope they turn out for you....hot apples are good....and smell like fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so delicious, just like something my Grandmother would make! She had a large family with many mouths to feed, so she, too, was an expert at making food stretch, and I still love all her old recipes today! Thank you for sharing this and bringing to mind many wonderful memories!

    Blessings! Net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope that Joe is feeling better and as able to enjoy the apple fritters. I have never made them, but understand how you feel about not wanting to waste food and make it last. We feel the same way and now I have some apples that need to be used for a pie. We are watching our food intake and these were bought a couple of weeks ago...maybe some fritters instead?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.