Monday, January 25, 2016

MARIANNE STORIES #15

My friend Marianne's mother died several years ago from breast cancer, but she still speaks of her often.  Mrs. B must have been quite a woman.  Here is one of Marianne's stories of her mom.

May 10
Mom used to say:"Girls, remember that you come from a long line of strong and independent women." And "Barbie is not the standard to which you should aspire" when my sisters wanted Barbie Dolls and she said no to the requests. And "You don't need a man to define you." I heard this one more than my 4 younger sisters because they all married and I never did. 

Mom never wanted me to feel as though I was incomplete. Finally, "Marianne, if things had turned out differently for you and you married and had children, think about all the joyful interactions and relationships you would not have been able to form with the children in the library. Your own would have to come first. You have a lot of love to give, and God saw fit to have you share that love this way." 

For all of those important lessons at crucial times in life, for all of the understanding, for all of the sacrifice, for showing us how to live with joy and honor, for showing us what it meant to be a strong and independent woman capable of dealing with whatever life throws at us, and for much more, I thank you Mom, every day. I am the woman I am because of you! Miss you every day!

2 comments:

  1. We all owe a lot to our mothers. In my case,my aunt.My mother passed when I was young.I still hear her teaching me values,standing next to her in church....never let go of those teachings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an only child, and my mother died when I was 34, and at 74 it has been a long, long time. I remember the special little things now, and my children mention things from time to time as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.