Friday, January 22, 2016

A ROCKWELL FRIDAY -- BEFORE THE SHOT

I got a great Norman Rockwell calendar from my drug store this year and thought I would share some of the pictures with you.  I love Rockwell.  When my mom was in art school, he was one of her instructors.  How cool is that!

Here's the picture for January.  You see it a lot in doctor's offices.  At least I did while I was growing up.


1958
Before the Shot

The boy verifying the doctor's credentials whimsically captures the confirmation many people desire moments before a procedure at the doctor's office.  There was great debate in the Rockwell family over how much of the boy's fanny should show.  Some argued more while others argued less.  After considerable thought, Norman Rockwell lowered the pants to their present position which avoided controversy without sacrificing humor.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy! Oh, yes, I love this picture from Rockwell. Not too far from us in Stockbridge, Mass, there is a wonderful Rockwell museum. It's wonderful and the area is where he got so much of his inspiration. Also, do you remember Arlo Guthrie who sang 'Alice's Restaurant'? Well, the real Alice's Restaurant is that on the main street in Stockbridge. Just a bunch of nonsense trivia for you! :) Hope you're doing well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope YOU are doing well and your leg is healing. Love hearing that trivia. It would be cool to go see those places.

      Delete
  2. We all know the "end" results. No need to show more or less. Genius! That's why we all loved his paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I love Norman Rockwell's art. That is amazing he was your mom's teacher. I would love to be that lucky. :):) Hope you and your Joe are doing well and staying in where it's warm and safe. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're staying in but it's none too warm in this house. The snow continues!

      Delete
  4. His art is always special.It's Saturday morning & the storm is blowing! Our cable is out but we have heat & electricity. New canine member Bella is not sure about goiing 'potty' in all this.
    Russ is out shoveling including an elderly neighbor's walkway. He said you really can't be outside for more than 15 minutes at a time. So stay in and stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stay in and stay warm too! I guess we have to get shoveling soon too.

      Delete
  5. Love Norman Rockwell! How cool that he was your mother's instructor. I have two framed prints that I ador. Got them at the thrift shop in the nursing home where I worked. I hung them in my office, them my dining room at our former home....now they are hanging out in my bedroom waiting to be hung. Just haven't found the correct spot yet!
    Be safe in this snowy weather!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.