Saturday, October 31, 2015

'TWAS THE DAY BEFORE HALLOWEEN



It was quite a day yesterday (on Halloween Eve).  We had no librarian at work.  A friend of mine from many years ago who is a Librarian Assistant 3 filled in.  Threes can do the librarian job (but not the librarian pay of course).  I did think about staying and becoming a three but....  It was so much fun to see Clyde again.  We spent a lot of time talking and talking and catching up on things because we hadn't seen each other in about six years.  Because I was the senior member of the regular staff, we worked together throughout the day.

We had Angela, the Area Administrator, and Stephanie, the brand new Area Coordinator, come to visit us.  I gave Stephanie a tour of the building and introduced both of them to our new employees Matt and Denise.  

Angela tried to talk me out of leaving.  She said I was so important to the library and she had no one to replace me.  She asked me to stay just one more year.  I told her the reasons I was leaving -- health primarily -- and said I was willing to come in one day a week to volunteer and help out however I can.  She understood but was sad.

I was so proud of my newbies.  Matt was helping a customer find her way to another area of the city on buses and stayed 1/2 hour through his lunch time to just sit on the computer, write out directions and help her out.  Way to go, Matt!  I made sure I praised him in front of the visitors and told him to take his whole lunch time.  (I stood in for him.)  Denise went on the desk by herself even though she was nervous about it.  She did really good.

I am sad to leave.  I do love my job.  But I just know it is the right time.  

I wore my Halloween vest to work and got lots of compliments on it.  I kept saying, "I can wear it only once a year!"  It's very old but looks brand new.  That's because I wear it only once a year.

As usual I was exhausted when I got home.  So much so that all I wanted to do was sleep.  Forget about dinner.  So we decided to go out and I headed for the Country Club.  


We haven't been there in awhile.  We were surprised because they raised all their prices.  While two or three dollars isn't much, put it together times two and it was about $10 more than we expected to pay.  Joe ordered beef goulash and was disappointed in his meal.  It was not what he expected.  I got my favorite chicken francaise and it was as good as always.  What saved the day for Joe was the dessert.  He ordered two chocolate eclairs which he said were wonderful.



We were both so tired that when we got home we just crashed.  We didn't even watch TV.  I'm feeling pretty good this morning.  Of course, I'm always tired.  It would be nice to have some energy.

Today we are taking Pumpkin to the vet, and then I am going to church to help out with the Kids' Club.  After that it's getting ready for the Trick or Treat kids.  Another busy day.  

But at least we get another hour to sleep tonight.


Until later...

Kathy
36 days to retirement 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy! Oh, your last day! I know you are valued so much at the library but so glad there are such good ones left to carry on! I know this must have made you feel good that they wanted you to stay! Have a fun and safe Halloween and rest. I'm hoping I'll feel well enough to be with our little ones tonight. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well not the last day, but just another month. It does make me feel good that they like me so much that they want me to stay.

      Hope you are feeling better.

      Delete
  2. Kathy, I hope Pumpkin checks out healthy. Yes, you need to get your health in check too. I am excited for your retirement. It's not like the library had no warning...gee-zoo....they should be having someone there for you to train last month. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin is in perfect health, thanks for asking.

      There is no one to replace me. They have to hire someone and they can't hire until after the promotion test is given in January. That's the way the government works.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure it's hard to leave the job you love. But don't let them rope you in to staying. It's good to have the thoughtful comments though. Prices are high everywhere!! I sometimes drink water so it doesn't cost so much when dining out. Megan went work at library today dressed as Miss Marples. If u have chance hop over to my blog for an entry in my book and necklace giveaway by Monday.
    Hugs and blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink water out lots of times too. But in this case the beverage was included in the price of the meal.

      Megan must have looked great as Miss Marple. That's a great idea.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kathy, I'm surprised that they wanted you to stay an additional year. That's crazy. I hope Pumpkin's vet visit goes well. Oh and thanks for the reminder to set my clock back tonight. I needed that.

    I hope you have a lovely rest of the weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By staying an extra year I would have a bigger pension. Much bigger. But I know now is the time to leave.

      Delete
  5. How nice that they wanted you to stay another year. It just shows you how valuable you are and how much they like you. It sounds like your newbies are doing really well and I am glad you were able to catch up with the guy you used to work with. That is always fun.
    Hope Pumpkin's visit was okay. He is sure cute!
    Have a wonderful night and blessed Sunday, Kathy. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I felt really good about them wanting me to stay. And I was almost talked into it.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post! It's always a pleasure catching up with people. Your trainees are really working out well.Matt is a true gem of a person. Not many people go the second mile.Hope Pumpkin has a good check up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Matt is a gem. I really like having him around.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.