Tuesday, June 18, 2013

IT'S GOING TO BE A LONG WEEK

I'm heading out in an hour for my second day at the McPherson Square branch.  Yesterday was... interesting.

I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get there.  I turned on the GPS (there are parts of the trip I am not sure of) and it took me a different way than I had ever gone before.  It turned out to be so fast.  And with all the construction being done on my way to work each day it is actually faster and easier than going to my regular Richmond branch.

The people I am working with are so sweet and nice.  I really liked them a lot.  The guard used to work at Richmond and he and I are very good friends.  So having the chance to work with him again was great.  But...

it is so unorganized.  In my branch I am the supervisor and I have the place running like a well oiled engine.  We all know what our jobs are, have a schedule for when we are on the desk, and know what we are doing and where we're supposed to be all the time.  At McPherson it's "Do you feel like going on the desk?  OK."  And instead of one person to handle everything there can be two or three on at one time.  Don't have anything to do?  Go on the desk.  The same with the other things that need to be done.  Feel like sitting there?  Sit.  Feel like doing something?  Uh...  well maybe you can shelve.  Or maybe you can do this list.  It's driving me crazy after just one day.  I was counting down the hours yesterday.  And I have four more days to go.  My mind just doesn't do well like that.  So today I think I am going to set myself some tasks.

Enough with the complaining.

I took a few pictures of the place to show you.  It's a beautiful building.

This is the outside of the building.  It is situated in the center of a beautiful park.  Unfortunately a lot of drugs and prostitution go on in the park.  In the back of the building is a small parking lot which is always locked so our cars don't get broken into.

This is the teen section.  It is new since I was there the last time.  The chairs on the floor rock and the kids love them.  The back is all cafe type tables where you can sit and read or do homework.  There's a leader that is there working with them.  On the right side there is a counter and chairs where you can plug in a laptop computer.  They even have four laptops that you can borrow and use the library's wi-fi.

This is the inside of the dome.  The skylight provides so much light and the lights help too.  It is right over the front desk but lights up the whole workroom too.

This is the children's section looking from the front desk.  It's so cute in there and STUFFED with books.
 I will try to take some more pictures today.  Only four days to go.  Like I said the people I work with are great so that is a big plus.  I can do it....  I can do it....

3 comments:

  1. Kathy, I hope it all works out well for you. When you work with good co-workers, that is a huge plus. I like when people are self motivated too. You can do it girl !!! xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful building but like you said, it is sad you have to deal with the druggies and prostitution outside your door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful park.They used to have fairs to raise money for things;cupcakes,flea market items etc.It was great to go 'shopping',get a treat & sit in the shade.Oh well....
    I am glad to hear the people are friendly.That helps a LOT! I know you can do this. Alternate the 2 below:
    I can do all things....
    I know I can,I know I can....
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.