Sunday, March 20, 2011

IRISH STEW



Here is my Irish stew recipe as promised.  Believe me this is good!  I got the recipe from the newspaper one St. Patrick's Day when I was around 16 years old.  (For those of you in Philly it was the Evening Bulletin.  Remember that paper?)  I have given the recipe to so many people and everyone thinks it is the best stew around.

IRISH STEW
Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. lean boneless lamb, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
(I have also used beef cubes and ground beef made into mini meat balls)
1 1/2 cups water
1 8oz can stewed tomatoes  (I often use a larger can and usually use diced tomatoes.  It all depends on your taste.)
1 1/2 cups sliced onions
1/2 cup celery and leaves
1/4 cup parsley
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 beef bouilon cube
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. pepper
6 carrots, sliced
8 small potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tsp. cornstarch

Combine lamb, water, tomatoes, onion, celery, parsley, garlic, bouilon cube, salt, thyme and pepper in a Dutch oven.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.  Cover and cook slowly 1 1/2 hours.  Add carrots and potatoes.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.  Cover and cook 30 minutes.  Blend 2 tablespoons of broth into cornstarch.  Pour into remaining broth mixture.  Cover and cook 5 minutes until stew is thickened.

If anyone tries this, please let me know what you think of it.

2 comments:

  1. The picture of the stew looks scrumptious! I have never had lamb so I would probably choose beef even though the meatballs sound good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lamb cubes are expensive and hard to find. Beef tastes good to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.