Tuesday, March 8, 2011

BUSY DAY

I'm on my dinner break at work.  We are open until 8 p.m. tonight.  I am really tired.  Actually, I was starting to fall asleep over the book I was reading.  I wish I could go home now and go to bed.

I woke up around 6:30 a.m. this morning.  I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up.  I made breakfast, fed the cat, got showered and dressed and got myself together to go food shopping. 

I had placed the order online last night, so all we had to do this morning was show up around 10:00 a.m. and pay for the food.  However, I was so tired last night that I forgot a few things, so we had to go inside and get them.  Of course once you go inside you see other things that look interesting and end up getting more than you bargained for.  At least it wasn't our usual 2 hour shopping marathon.

After putting the things away I packed a lunch and went to work.  Today is "Donut Day" (the day before Lent) so I bought 6 donuts and took them in with me.  They were really good.  When we got to ShopRite you could smell the donuts out in the parking lot.  And when we went to get some, a lot of people were standing around and grabbing the donuts out of the case.  I guess I'm not the only one with the donut idea.

Today has been extremely busy at work.  I would start to route in the books that were returned from other branches, and someone would want to check out.  I would check that person out and someone would want to return books.  I took back the books, tried to route some more books in, and was asked to send out the holds for other branches.  Started that and someone would want to check out.  Well, you get the picture.  I couldn't seem to finish anything.  I'm very tired.  I think I will sleep well tonight.

I'm planning on making my "What-You-Have Pie" tonight for dinner when I get home.  It's quick, easy and will use up some of the leftovers in the fridge.  I didn't get to make the Swiss chard last night.  It's set for tomorrow and I will let you know how it turns out.

5 comments:

  1. I have never heard of donut day...that sounds like fun. I wonder if it is a regional thing. Who knows it could be here too and I just don't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the day before Ash Wednesday (the last day before Lent begins). The idea is in the olden days women would use up all their fat and sugar in order to not have those things in the house during the 40 days of Lent. Lent was supposed to be a time of fasting. So even though I don't hold with that, having donuts on Donut Day is still fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They call it "Faschnaut Day" here in Lancaster County. Since our family does not like Faschnauts, we picked up a couple of jelly filled donuts in rebellion of Faschnaut Day. What do you think of that? Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherdecor is right. The original name was Faschnaut Day and is a German tradition that was brought here by the imagants. A lot of the supermarkets and bakeries make the old German Faschnaut donut just for Fat Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, but I couldn't find any. So I had jelly and cream filled donuts. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.