Tuesday, February 8, 2011


I went back to work today for the first time since my surgery.  It was very strange being up the entire day and not being at home.  My desk was all messed up from different people using it while I was out, so the first thing I did was to get myself all settled in.  I forgot what I was supposed to do and how to do so many things.  I even forgot my password to get onto the computer and had to call the Help Desk to get a new password set for me.  I was actually locked out of the computer system.  Before I left in November I had made myself a list of the things I need to do each day, so that was very helpful.  I just went down the list.  Shelve books, shelf read, pull books that have not gone out recently, etc.  So that wasn't too bad.

I was on the front desk at 11:00 when Joe called me.  He started telling me stuff about his dad's will and talking with his step-mom.  I told him I couldn't talk and would call him back at lunch time.  The next thing I know he was walking in the front door.  I had only been at work 3 hours and he missed me and wanted to talk.  The women at work thought that was so sweet.  So we ended up going out to lunch.

I wasn't sure how parking would be this morning at work, so Joe drove me to work and had the car all day to run errands and then picked me up after work tonight.  It turns out there was lots of space, but I didn't know that.

We had to park way down the street yesterday.  Joe went to get the car this morning and bring it up in front of the house.  He didn't see the snow/ice bank in front of the car and ended up straddling it with the tires.  The car was very stuck.  I thought we would have to call a tow truck to get us out.  He shoveled and pushed and shoveled some more.  It just would not move.  One of our neighbors, Kelly, came over to help push, but she and Joe together couldn't move it.  She had to get to work, so she had to leave.  Then the dad of our next-door neighbor came around the corner.  He saw us stuck, got out of his truck, and he and Joe together were able to push the car off the snow pile.  But now the tire rim is all bent up.  We think the brakes may be damaged and there is a weird noise when we are in first gear.  So off to the garage tomorrow.  We have our friend, Carole, helping us out with rides so I can get back and forth to work.

I was really tired when I got home tonight.  My stomach is swollen and hurts.  I just wanted to sleep.  We had some leftover pizza from last night, so I just heated it up in the microwave and we had that for dinner.  Then I slept for about 3 hours.  Woke up with Joe's step-mom calling at 11:00 p.m.  I know I should be in bed instead of doing this, but I wanted to get this written because I know some people read this in the morning and wanted to know how my first day went.  At least I don't go in until 11:45 a.m. tomorrow so I can sleep in.

I also want to check on my sister Elaine before I go to work.  She is very, very sick.  She can hardly talk and is coughing so much.  She went to the doctor today (yesterday now) and got some anti-biotics.  I'm worried about her.


  1. Kathy, I am so glad that your first day of work went well. I bet you are happy to be back.

  2. Congrats on being back to work! Making the list was very smart on
    your part. I am sorry you hurt, though I guess it's your 'work' muscles
    getting back in shape. Ouch!
    I hope nothing is too seriously wrong with the car. That is the
    last thing you guys need.
    Hope the coming week at work gets better & I will keep you all in
    Lottsa love, Debbie


Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.