Thursday, November 14, 2019

CELEBRATING VETERANS DAY



Hello, friends!  I took the above picture back in 2014 at the farm I used to go to every week.  I haven't been there in so long.  In fact, I don't think I went there even once this year.  Since we got the new Shoprite and everything is so fresh there (and much cheaper than the farm), I just haven't made the long ride down there.  But maybe I will take a trip before the year is over.

That is if the weather warms up.  It is cold!  I didn't leave the house yesterday and probably won't today either except for a quick trip to Rite Aid to get a couple of things I desperately need.

One thing I must work on today is laundry.  Do you ever have those clothes just pile up?  It is out of hand.  Joe usually does the laundry because he loves it.  I have not figured out why, but he does.  But with his hand injured, I've been doing it.  I don't mind it, but I can't carry as many clothes down to the basement at one time as he does.

I thought I would bake some cookies today too.  The ready to bake are so easy and the pumpkin ones are one of my favorites.  You can buy them only around this time of year too.  I might get another package next week to hold me through to Christmas.

But let me tell you what we did on Monday, Veterans Day.  That afternoon, as usual, we went to the Nursing Home.  Again, it was a good time visiting with the residents and Joe gave a meditation on Psalm 7.  He has been going through the Psalms but is going to take a short break for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I was able to give out some large print devotionals and was asked to bring more next week.

After we left Joe, Rick and I headed to King George II Inn in Bristol, PA.  A lot of places were giving the veterans free meals or free coffee or free dessert which was wonderful.  King George was giving a free dinner to the veterans from a special menu.  Of course they couldn't choose the $35 filet mignon, but the menu they could choose from was quite extensive.  I had called several other places to get a reservation, but most of them were full.  I was fortunate to get in here and only did because we were coming early.

I love taking pictures of the Delaware River.  This is the view we had as we walked from the parking lot to the restaurant.  All uphill I might add.  This girl was having a hard time with it.




We were seated at a table right next to the window on the first floor.  I sat with my back to the window so that Rick could see out.  He is not from Philly and has been there only once before.  The view is impressive and he loves looking at it.  I did turn around and take a couple of pictures, though.  I was using my phone and so the pictures are not as clear as I would have liked.





The lights are from an outside patio they have.  In the summer they have live music there and you can sit and have your dinner at the cute little café.

And here is Joe our Marine.  There are no former or retired Marines.  Once a Marine, always a Marine.  I know this from my dad, my father-in-law and Joe -- all Marines.



Joe had the salmon dijonaisse.  We served it at his birthday party we had there last year.  It is wonderful.  Rick had the mahi mahi tacos and I had the fish and chips.  There are no bad meals at this place.  Everything was wonderful and freshly made.  Rick's fries were cold and when he told a waitress (not even ours), she took them away and brought him another plate of hot fries taken right from the pan.  Impressive!

We watched the sun set as we ate and by the time we left, not only was the sky all pink, purple and gold, but so was the water.  I tried so hard to get a decent picture and saw it in my camera, but it came out blurry.  Still, you can get the idea.



It's such a wonderful place to have dinner.  So calm, beautiful and peaceful.  I took one last picture as I followed these guys back to the car.


It has been a wonderful week.

Kathy




6 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that so many restaurants were giving out free meals to our veterans. It sounds like you folks had a really nice day out. I don't go out unless I absolutely have to because I don't do the cold very well. You stay warm and have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful dinner experience y’all had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look like a fine dining place. How nice of the waitress who brought the hot fries.

    Depending upon on tired I am, the laundry can get ahead of me, but usually I am on it. I think it’s cool that Joe likes doing the laundry.

    Your Shoprite is a blessing! Fresh produce is not always easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to sit & eat in such a beautiful,peaceful place.Even blurry,one can see the beauty. I'm with Joe. I like doing laundry. On one of my 'lazy'days I can feel like I accomplished something! As for carrying things down....some of the bigger items (towels,sheets & jeans) I simply roll them in a ball & pitch them to the bottom of the basement stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love eating by the water....this seems absolutely perfect! And you got a pretty sunset to boot =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to your husband for serving our country. I love how the restaurants give free meals and such to our Vets. They are so deserving. This looks like a wonderful place to eat and enjoy that fabulous view. So glad the week was a good one! Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.