Wednesday, November 13, 2019

THE VETERANS PRAYER BREAKFAST AND OTHER WEEKEND STUFF


Hello, friends!  Hope you are having a wonderful Tuesday.  Today I thought I would tell you about my weekend which was so good.  First came the Veterans Prayer Breakfast which Joe and I have been working on for months.

It began with Joe and I driving 10 miles to another part of the city to pick up my former pastor and his wife.  I haven't seen them in years and it was really good to have a chance to be with them.

I drove them to church, dropped the three of them off with some food we had brought and then headed off in the opposite direction to get my friend Donna's father.  With all of that driving we were a few minutes late getting to church so everyone had begun eating by the time we got there.  We had ordered from a caterer for 25 and 14 people showed up so you know there was plenty of food for everyone.

Scrambled eggs, French toast, sausage, bacon, potatoes...


...muffins, bagels, cream cheese, butter, fruit, pastries and even coffee and orange juice.  I was really happy with these caterers.  They even brought paper plates and cups, plasticware, and napkins.  The food was really good.  I would definitely use them again.



Everyone had enough to eat and we had leftovers for Fellowship Time last Sunday and even some bagels in the freezer for this Sunday.






What a great time to honor our veterans.  And hopefully this will be the start to an annual event.

After the meal Joe introduced our guest speaker.


Our speaker was City Councilman David Oh.  Not only is he a councilman (and newly re-elected -- Yay!), he is a veteran and a born-again Christian.  His father founded the first Korean church in Philadelphia.


His message was so on-point.  He spoke of his childhood, his time in service, the things he had seen and experienced, what's happening in City Council and most importantly of his faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.  It was so inspiring and made us who were not veterans appreciate our military even more.


Joe gave some closing remarks and a prayer, and then I took Donna's father home and picked up Donna to come back to church for the Saturday Matinee.


I dropped Donna off and Joe gave her some of the leftover food.  While she was eating I took my pastor and his wife home.  Another 20 mile round trip.  But I still got back in plenty of time for the movie.

Our selection this month was "Luther," the biography of Martin Luther.  Rick wanted to do this one in honor of Reformation Day.  It was a long and very intense movie.  Although it was good, it wasn't one of my favorites.

When the movie was over I took Donna home and then when I got home, I took a nap.  I was so tired that I didn't even make dinner.  I just had a sandwich when I woke up and then went back to sleep.  I was tired!

On Sunday after church I went to lunch with my friend, Denise.  We have known each other for about 20 years.  She used to attend the church I go to but left some years ago.  Her son, also a friend of mine, is a pastor now and she goes to his church to see him and his wife and her grandchildren each week.  Can't blame her.  But we arranged to meet and catch up.  It's been years!  We went to Shoprite because it's close, cheap, and they don't chase you if you are there awhile.  We sat and talked for about 2 1/2 hours.  It was so good!  So we are planning to get together every couple of months just to spend time together.

Her husband, John, also attended our church.  He and Joe were very good friends.  A year ago this month he passed away after a very long illness.  Denise is having to adjust from being a wife and mother to being alone in an empty house.  So it was good for her to get out.

So all in all it was an excellent weekend.  What a wonderful way to start a week.  It has put me in such a good mood.

Hope you are all enjoying your week too.  Have a good day and keep warm on this very cold day.  It is not getting above 27*F (-3*C) all day.  Right now it is 14*F (-10*C)!  What happened to our 100*+ weather?  Since I have cold induced asthma I do not plan to leave the house.  See you all tomorrow.

Kathy









7 comments:

  1. You are a very caring person to drive so far to fetch people. I am sure that it was a blessing to them as well as you. Hope that your energy is back, especially since you are housebound. Oh the things you will accomplish. I’m hoping to accomplish something today myself. Oh, meant to say what a blessing to have such a good councilman in Philadelphia politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good way to celebrate Veterans Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful fellowship you have at your church. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you had a good Veterans Day! I celebrated Remeberance Sunday with my family and on Monday, we had a 2 minute silence in commemoration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy day! Driving can make a person tired. The outing with your friend sounds lovely! It's so good to reconnect to friends from the past. Hope you can keep it up.
    Take care, Kathy. I hope this extreme cold will go soon. It's too early for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, I am very glad your weekend was so good! Especially the Veterans's Breakfast! Yay for you and Joe - and thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear the breakfast was such a success. It's a blessing to have a good caterer too! They thought of everything! The Shop Rite Cafe is a neat pace to go. Happy that you & Denise could spend quality time together.Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.