Tuesday, August 28, 2018

THE FREAK ACCIDENT


It's really hot today.  How hot is it?  96*F (35.5*C) in real temperature, but feels like 105*F (40.5*C).  Needless to say I am staying inside with the air conditioning on.

I had a really freaky accident on Sunday morning at church.  We had stopped and gotten apple and lemon puff pastry tarts to take to church.  It was just too hot to bake brownies.  This was better.  I sent Joe into the store to get them and stayed in the car because I was in a lot of pain.  Feet, knees, hips, back, hands, shoulders....  I felt like I could hardly move.  I hold off taking pain killers as long as I can because I don't like taking them.  But I knew I had to lead singing for Joe and film the message and a number of other things.  So when I got into church, I took a couple of aspirin out of my purse and grabbed my bottle of water.

The first aspirin went down with no problem.  But the second pill got caught in my throat.  It was awful.  I started choking.  I tried to get it up, but couldn't.  I could feel it dissolving in my throat and it began burning.  I went into the ladies room and was gagging and choking.  Debbie came into the restroom and stayed with me trying to help me out.  But there really wasn't much she could do except hand me a couple of paper towels.  Finally I was able to breathe and stop gagging.  By that time my face was red and my eyes were bloodshot.  What a mess I looked!  And the front of my blouse was stained, so I had to wash myself and go upstairs to the sanctuary with a wet front.

Needless to say I couldn't lead the singing.  I couldn't even talk!  Fortunately Rick our new Ministry Assistant offered to do it for me.  (He did a good job too.)

I had some vanilla ice cream when I came home to soothe my throat.  It helped some, but my throat is still sore.

By Sunday night I had no voice, a sore throat and my lungs kept filling up with mucus so I had to cough all the time.  I was sick all day Monday.  Today I am better.  I had enough of a voice to teach my lesson to the Ladies Bible Study, but I'm not 100% yet.  My throat is still sore and I'm still coughing but not as much as I was yesterday.

The strangest thing, though, was that about an hour after I took the aspirin, all my pain went away and I've been pretty good ever since.  Go figure.  I don't want to take any more aspirin that way again EVER!

Image result for face with tongue out
Has anything like that ever happened to you?

Kathy






11 comments:

  1. I can't say that anything like that has happened to me. Perhaps the aspirin that got caught dissolved and got into your blood stream faster? They do taste nasty though. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness Kathy. I am glad you are better. I get dry throat and chock easily... I Hate when it happens too...coughing, eyes tearing up and almost wetting my pants. LOL. I always take a drink of water before I try to take meds. That helps. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! What a horrible experience and odd thing to have happened. I choked on a McD's french fry one time and I coughed it out with a great gob of 'grease'. That was a very, very odd thing. Glad that you are pain free though!!!
    Have a great rest of the week, Kathy! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I have had a choking experience, but not on an aspirin or anything that burned. Glad that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Can't say that it ever happened to me. Doesn't sound pleasant so I hope it never does! Glad you are feeling better. Did you google what possible damage a stuck aspirin could do? Probably nothing but I google everything =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry you choked on your aspirin...yep...choked on swallowing meds or vitamins...not that bad. I'm sure the aspirin burned your throat since it dissolved in your throat...no fun and hope you are feeling better now, my friend. My kids will be out of their apt by weekend. My co-worker is the one moving to Hawaii eventually. His daughter lives over there and he and his wife are happy to be going! Their first grandchild will be born over there too! Have a good rest of the week!
    HUgs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you're even the least bit better.I had to take a bit larger sized caplet & couldn't get it down,dissolving in my mouth (blah!!). In my case,I take a mouthful of water WITH the pill then follow with water.Not great,but seems to work.
    Take it easy & rest. Too hot to do much else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was scary for sure, and hope you are feeling much better by now. I choke easily so have to be careful swallowing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kathy, that’s terrible, how scary, it must have really damaged your throat, fortunately we heal quickly, I’m so sorry that happened to you,

    ReplyDelete
  10. How scary, the coated aspirins will not dissolve like the old ones without the coating, they also do not start working as fast. One solution is the BC powders sold at walmart and other places; they are dissolved in water for drinking, they also contain potassium which is often helpful for headaches. I like them better. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about your "accident" with the asprin. I choke easily so I know how terrifying it can be. I'm glad you're pain free now. I agree about the BC powders. My daughter swears by them. You have a great day now. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.