Thursday, October 19, 2017

KATHY'S WORLD FAMOUS POTATO SALAD




 A lot of people have asked me for my recipe for my World Famous Potato Salad.  I finally made it the other night and took pictures all the way through to show you how it is done.  There really is no recipe.  I just do whatever.  A lot is just your taste.  So I hope you can all follow along.

Start by getting your potatoes together.  I have a variety of potatoes here -- red white and blue.  BUT most of the time I use all the same potato.  Basically, I use whatever I have in the house.


Next peel the potatoes.  Some people like to leave the peel on.  If you do, just wash them well.  It's a very forgiving recipe.


Dice the potatoes into the size you want in the salad.  But don't cut them tiny or you will have mashed potatoes when it is mixed together.  If you want mashed potatoes, it is still good too.  I know because it has happened to me.


Boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until they are done.


Drain the potatoes and put them into a dish large enough to hold the salad.


Take an onion, peel it, and slice as much as you want to add.  Like onion?  Do a lot.  Not so much?  Do a little.  My sister can't eat onion so she omits it and it still turns out.  I cut them in medium sized pieces.  Do it however large or small you want.  Sometimes if I don't have an onion I use dried onion flakes and that works too.




Mix the potatoes and onions together.  Then get the rest of your ingredients together:  Salt, pepper, celery salt, mayo, and Italian salad dressing.




I add salt, pepper and celery salt then add two tablespoons of mayo and one tablespoon of dressing.  Mix together and taste.  Add more of these ingredients as needed until it tastes right (or good to you).  Warning:  it is very easy to add too much salt and too much salad dressing and then it tastes awful.  I would highly recommend no more than one tablespoon of the dressing per four servings of salad.  I added too much one time and it tasted like vinegar.  Also I tend to add too much salt/celery salt and it gets too salty.  Like I did the other night.  I like salt, but it was too salty even for me.  Just be careful.

And that's it.  Put it in the fridge to cool and serve when cold.


It really isn't much of a recipe since mainly it's by taste, but hope those of you who asked how I make it will try it.  It is very good.

Kathy









14 comments:

  1. I love good potato salad and this sounds like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks delicious! Is this how The Amish make theirs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. This is my great-grandmother's recipe. The Amish put more things in their salad.

      Delete
  3. Kathy, Your recipe is quick. My mom would make her with chopped celery, pickles and onions. Honestly the best things my mother could make were potato salad and fried chicken. But this past weekend I had potato salad at a friends and it had radishes in it. Don't tell my mom, but it was as good as hers. LOL. I do like it with a touch of mustard too. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had so many things in a potato salad. It would be strange to me, though I know of some people who put celery and pickles in their salad.

      Delete
  4. Only a few ingredients that need chopping, I will give it a whirl, it looks delicious !
    Thank you for sharing with us :)
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jo. Let me know if you like it.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your world famous recipe, Kathy. We enjoy potato salad but more in the warmer months, Now we;re thinking mashed potato time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat it more in the summer too. It's getting time for those hearty meals.

      Delete
  6. I love potato salad, maybe made it once in 43 years!! The deli does it for me ;-) There is a farmers market near Manheim that makes it just the way my mom did. Of course I take some home when I shop there.... which isn't often enough! Your salad sounds pretty easy so I just may try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do and if you like it. Some people think it is too plain because I don't put a lot of things in it.

      Delete
  7. I use mustard but I can see how the Italian dressing would add the same kind of 'bite' as the mustard. Easy indeed!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it with mustard but I know some people that do. I think I will try that sometime.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.