Thursday, March 28, 2013


Wednesday morning

My time to check in at the hospital was 8 a.m.  My friend, Carole, came at 7:30 to take us there.  I checked in and went to the waiting room.  A few minutes later a nurse came to take me back to the Cath Lab.  I got undressed and settled in the bed.  The nurse came back to give me the IV.  I told her how bad it was last time and how I have been having nightmares.  She said, "Well this time you have an expert."  After taking a look at my veins she said she needed a small needle.  A quick pinch and it was in the first time and didn't even hurt.  She really was an expert and I kept thanking her.

When the doctor came in to talk with me, I had Joe brought back so he would hear everything I did.  We both really liked the doctor.  He answered all our questions, addressed all our concerns, and said he understood about my back.  He looked at my wrist and said he was sure he could go in that way instead of my groin.  By doing that I could sit up and have a shorter recovery time following the procedure.  It would hurt my back a lot less and I would be able to go back to work, take care of the house, Joe, drive sooner, etc.  And that is exactly what he did.

I was never upset about the procedure itself.  I was awake the whole time and got to watch it on the monitor.  It was fascinating!  I was told it took about 30 minutes, but it seemed like 10.  The results were that all my arteries were perfectly clear, no blockages, no sign there ever were blockages, and no sign there would be any in the future.  My heart is very strong and looks like it belongs to a 39 year old, not at 59 year old.  Yes!!!!

When they were all finished they put a compression bandage on.  It was so neat.  It was clear plastic and they pumped it full of air so that it was really tight.  Then for the next two hours they slowly let the air out.  Being clear, they could keep an eye on how the incision was looking.  I kept saying how cool it was and the nurses all agreed.  They told me that it was something new that had been in use only a few months and they all loved it.

I had to eat before they would let me go home.  I am not able to use my right hand or arm for 48 hours.  I am learning to type with just my left hand.  It takes a lot longer though.  Anyway the nurse suggested a breakfast sandwich.  She had to read the menu to me because Joe had my glasses.  I got an egg with mushrooms and onions on an english muffin and a glass of apple juice.  It was so good.  I am going to make it for myself at home when I can cook again.

So at 1 p.m. I was able to go home.  Carole came back to pick us up.  Two of the nurses were going to lunch so they walked us down.  As we were talking I mentioned that I worked at the library.  One of the nurses asked me which branch and I told her.  She said her first cousin worked at the library but she didn't know which branch.  I asked what her cousin's name was and it turned out to be my friend Joan that I had worked with for 8 years and was even at my wedding!  What a very small world!!!

The rest of my day was spent resting, watching TV and napping.  One of the families at church is supplying our dinners for us.  Jim brought over some bean soup, chicken, cabbage and rolls.  It was all very good.  Hard to eat with just my left hand.

So that was the end of the day.
By 8 p.m. I was ready for bed.  Since I had slept only 2 hours the night before I was really tired.  I had a good night's sleep too.  I slept until 7 a.m. this morning.

I want to tell you about today, but I just can't.  My hand is throbbing and I'm very tired.  So I will leave you hanging until tomorrow.  But just know that everything is good.  Thank you for all your thoughts, prayers and good wishes.  I really, really appreciate it. 


  1. Hi Kathy,
    I'm glad I checked in and read your doing Excellent even if you have to type with one hand. So happy your church is providing meals.

    Take care and rest, rest and rest.

    God bless you both!


  2. So thankful this ordeal is OVER!!! Glad I can keep up with you on Facebook! It is faster than blogging!

  3. I was so glad to see your post on Facebook! You were definitely on my mind. Wonderful news that everything went well and that everything looks good! Wishing you a very speedy recovery friend. You take it easy and you will be back up and running in no time!

  4. I am overjoyed you're back online!
    We on the prayer line really appreciate the updates.I love praising the Lord and celebrating
    answered prayer!
    Take it easy,rest & speedy healing!
    Love you,girl

  5. My head and heart are jumping with joy. From the needle, friendly circle of friends, to having food delivered. God is good!

    I did get a chuckle that your got a recipe from a hospital.

  6. Hi Kathy!
    I'm so glad your procedure went so well. That's great.

    What a small world your nurse's niece was related to your friend from the neat!

    I hope you are taking it easy this weekend.

    Happy Easter to you and Joe!

  7. So glad to hear everything went well--God is good! Tomorrow is a new day and each day will get better.


Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.