Tuesday, October 9, 2012

APPLE CAKE

I took my apple cake to church today for Bible study and it was a big hit.  People were going back for seconds which hardly ever happens and Dottie even cut herself a slice to take home with her.  It was good (if I do say so myself).  I took slices in for the people at work and everyone loved it.

I still wasn't feeling well today so I came home from work 2 hours early.  I was on the front desk at 5 p.m. and felt so bad that I was sitting there laying my head on the desk when there was no one waiting to get checked in or out.  When I got home I took my blood pressure and it was 152/77.  Not real high, but enough to make me feel bad.  After dinner I took it again and it was down to 129/69.  And I was feeling so much better.  Hopefully it will stay down now and I can get back to doing things around here.

Anyway, the apple cake was so good that I wanted to give you the recipe.  I got it from the October issue of Ladies' Home Journal, but I changed it a bit so this is my version, not theirs.

APPLE CAKE
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened (I used margarine)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3 large or 4 medium apples, peeled and cut into a 1/2-inch dice (I used Gala, but the recipe says to use Mutsus, Winesaps, Empires or Granny Smith)
Cinnamon sugar

1.  Heat oven to 350*F.  Grease a bundt pan.  Sprinkle bottom with cinnamon sugar and set aside.

2.  In a bowl whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.  In an electric mixer cream together butter, oil, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Working in two batches, incorporate dry ingredients into butter mixture.  Fold in apples.

3.  Spoon batter into the prepared pan.  Bake until top is golden and a tester inserted in cake's highest point comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

4.  Allow cake to cool in pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a plate.  Sprinkle top with more cinnamon sugar.  Allow to cool completely.

I meant to take a picture of it to show you, but it was gone before I got to do that.  It was such a big hit that I know I will be making it again soon and I will take a picture then.  It was really easy to make.  I hope you try it.

1 comment:

  1. OK, now I'm in trouble.
    You gave us your apple cake recipe!
    Thank you!


    Please get better!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.