Wednesday, February 15, 2012

VALENTINE'S DAY


I had the best day today.  It began with getting up after having only 3 hours of sleep to make Valentine cookies for Bible study.  I took sugar cookie dough, added orange extract, rolled them into a heart shape and topped them with a candied red cherry cut in half.  They tasted wonderful.


Joe came downstairs as I was finishing up and gave me a beautiful card.  It is probably the nicest card I have ever received in my whole life.  It wasn't fancy, but the the sentiment was wonderful and I ended up crying it was so nice.

We headed over to church for the Bible Study.  Our topic this week was The Trinity.  There was a lot of interaction and was a really good study.  I think one of the best so far.  Only three people showed up.  We gave each of the ladies a rose made out of feathers and the man a small container of Hershey kisses.

I went to work and had a good day there also.  I actually had time to get my desk completely cleaned off.  I haven't seen my desk clean in about 6 or 7 months!  Right around dinner time a man delivered my one red rose from Joe.  Every year he gives me one red rose.  The story behind it is the first year we were together, he was out of work, sick and had no income.  He wanted to get me flowers, but couldn't afford them.  So he walked over to 7-11 and got me one red rose for a couple of bucks which was all he could afford.  Because the rose showed his love for me, I asked him to do that each year.  And he does.  It is the thing between us that makes Valentine's Day special,  Here is my rose for this year.


When I got home from work at 8:30 p.m. I told Joe to figure out where he wanted to go and I would take him to dinner.  We decided to go to Applebee's.  Well we went, but we didn't stay.  At 9:00 at night the line was out the door and people were standing in the parking lot to get in.  There was at least an hour wait for a table.  So we went to the diner.  It was almost as bad.  We got a table right away, but the wait to take our order, get the food, get the check was terrible.  The manager was out on the floor yelling at the wait staff and telling them that if they left to go home, they were fired.  It seems a lot of people did not show up for work.  We had asked for Joe's friend, Shirley, to be our waitress.  She had been there for 10 hours and was not allowed to leave.  She expected that she would have to work at least 16 hours straight.  We left her a very large tip.  Poor lady.  She is an older woman and looked really worn out.  But she can't afford to take a chance that she might lose her job.  The good part was we had a really nice dinner, had a chance to do a lot of talking (mostly ME talking), and spent time with each other.  We even had one of my favorite customers at the library come over to the table and talk to us.  He was there with his wife.  Great minds, they say.

I have to go because I MUST get some sleep.  Hope your day was as good as mine.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the story of your rose!It is special to start such a tradition. Knowing Russ would want to get me something,I said I just wanted a Hershey bar. With me not working,I wouldn't feel right with a huge bouquet.Well turns out he found a small vase with a cool pattern with 2 red roses & 2 red carnations plus a gold cherub!We both loved it.I love being his wife!
    WOW!! Your desk is clear!Must have been a good feeling.I think it's great you've been blessed with help.Hopefully things will be a little less hectic.
    I feel sorry for the wait staff.Not just the hours or threats but yelled at publically!
    Sheesh! I took Russ out for brunch to IHOP on Sunday.I tried the hash brown stack.Pertty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Single Rose...now that is romantic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.