Thursday, February 23, 2012

ASH WEDNESDAY


Another really busy day at work.  Really, I wanted to just take that phone and rip it out of the wall.  It never stopped.  And everyone was asking the same question:  "What are your hours today?"  Very frustrating.  I did get a lot of stuff done, so it was a productive day.  But all day I was thinking, "Let me out of here!"  Ever have one of those days where you just want to stay home in bed?

Sheila had been out sick yesterday.  She came back to work today, but really shouldn't have.  She was still sick.  Remember when Diane was out sick last week?  Well, Diane and Sheila had the same thing -- vomiting and diarrhea.  Tonight when I got back from church I started feeling queasy and running to the bathroom.  I hope I am not getting it.  That would be just what I need!

Our neighborhood has a Council of Churches.  Because all of the Protestant churches are small, they band together to have services and programs.  Every year they have Lenten services each Wednesday for six weeks.  Years ago (and I do mean years) I used to go to them all the time.  But I haven't attended for at least 10 years.  This year we saw in the local newspaper that the first one was tonight and was at the Methodist church which is less than a block from our house.  So instead of Joe going to our church's Bible study and me sleeping, we went to the service.  It was very nice.  They sang hymns out of a hymnal (something we never do at our church anymore), read scripture, had special music and a message.  The pastor spoke on how Lent is not a time to do good things or give up something, but a time for reflection and repentance.  Not a long message, but full of stuff to think about.  Then they did something I have never seen done in a Protestant church -- they put ashes on people's foreheads if they wanted it.  Everyone went up but the Baptists.  Of course being raised Baptist I didn't go either.  After that they had communion.  Again, it was different than what I was used to.  Everyone went to the front of the church, kneeled, and was given the bread and juice there and then went back to their seats.  Different is not bad!  It was really interesting to see how this church did things.  

Next week the service is at the Baptist church.  That is the church I grew up in, where I met Joe, and where my great-grandparents were the first wedding in the church.  It is where my sister got married, where my parents met and where my grandmother was baptized.  My sister and I were also baptized there.  So it will be nice to visit and see it again.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, hope your not getting sick! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    Isn't it interesting how different churches practice different things? I grew up Missionary Baptist and as I've gotten older and been to other churches I've realized that really no two churches are exactly the same.

    Hope you have a better day at work today & a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.