Monday, May 30, 2011

MEMORIAL DAY PARADE

Happy Memorial Day!  I hope you all had a good day and remembered the real reason we celebrate this day.  It upsets me that so many people think this is just the first day of the summer season and don't remember our men and women who gave their lives for this country.

My friend Carole came over this morning and she and I went to see the Bridesburg neighborhood parade.  It is the largest Memorial Day parade in Philadelphia.  But it was pretty small this year.  They were having trouble raising enough money to pay for it.  I'm glad we had it at all.  Even though it was smaller, it still took about an hour and a half to view and was a great parade.

Tonight Carole and Walt came over.  We were going to cook out but it was too hot (93 degrees!), so we ate our hot dogs and hamburgers in air conditioned comfort.  It's been a good day.  Back to work tomorrow.

Here I am getting ready to go to the parade.  Not a great picture, though.

The Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Society which is across from my house.  They have the flags of each of the branches of service out front along with a POW/MIA flag.  The parade began with a motorcycle group -- all Vietnam Vets.


Then came antique cars.  There were some older and better ones than these, but they went by so fast I couldn't get pictures of them.  But the one I loved was a 1958 Bel Air.  I remember riding in a car like that.  Ah, those were the days.



The Marine Corps honor guard.

One of the American Legion Posts.


Our State Representative, John Taylor, and State Senator Mike Stack.


And our Mayor, Michael Nutter.  He's the one on the right.  When he passed I yelled out, "Hello, Mr. Mayor!"  He turned toward me, smiled, and said, "Hi there young lady."  I think he might need new glasses.  Ha, ha!


This band came all the way from Cinnaminson, NJ.



Another American Legion Post.

Loved this truck.  Especially the back.  It says, "All gave some, some gave all."



One of my favorites -- the Police & Fire Pipes and Drums.



I have a few more pictures to show you, but it's getting late and I need to get to bed.  Didn't get much sleep last night, so want to make sure I sleep tonight.  I'll finish tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were brave to watch a parade in hot hot weather. I liked all your pics. Glad you got to celebrate the day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.