Monday, May 23, 2011

FIRE!

Joe went out to get a haircut this morning and get his picture taken for his driver's license.  I was hanging around the house getting things together to go to Ocean City.  Suddenly I heard lots of sirens.  We live near the firehouse, so that is not unusual here.  However, they sounded very close.  I looked out the window and didn't see anything.  I opened the front door and saw a fire engine and two ambulances across the street.  Then another fire engine showed up.  There was lots of black smoke in the air and the smell of burning wood.  I walked down the street and saw the fire on a side street, two houses back.  I ran back to the house and grabbed my camera.

 Philadelphia's finest in action.  You can see the ladder against the three story house.  It was the third floor that was on fire.

You can sort of see the smoke coming out of the third floor window.  By the time I got back with my camera the smoke was almost gone.

See the fireman on the roof?  He had a hatchet and was chopping a hole in the roof.

The fire was out in minutes thanks to our fearless firemen.  But the damage remains.  You can see the black marks on the white overhang on the roof.

Everything was done so quickly and safely.  In the 31 years I have lived in my house this is only the second time I have seen our firefighters in action.  They are wonderful people.

3 comments:

  1. Thank God for firemen who are brave and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which house was it? Was it in your row or down father? You know how freeked out I get about that kind of thing everscence I had to jump 2 1/2 stories becuase I was traped in the apt. when it burnt down. I hope you and your house are alright. I know how scary that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marion,it was on Haworth Street, two houses down from the hall. Not too near, but near enough!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.