Monday, May 2, 2011

LEARNING PATIENCE

Patience is not one of my strong points.  I want to get to places quickly.  I don't want to wait for doctor's appointments.  I want to get that book read today!  No cooking dinner longer than a half-hour.

But I have been reading this wonderful book called The Amish Way: Patient Faith in a Perilous World.  I picked it up because I am interested in the Amish people.  I admire them even though I don't agree with them 100% theologically.  After reading through half of the book I realize that I am more in tune with them than I thought I was.  The one thing they have that I don't, though, is patience.

Patience is taught to them at a very young age.  Their Sunday services are 3 hours long, yet even the youngest children sit patiently through them.  They do not get instant gratification in their lives, they work for what they have and they work a long time for it.  There are no microwaves, instant potatoes, or instant messaging in their lives.

This book has inspired me to try to be more patient.  I am trying.  I am not there yet.  It has also inspired me to have both morning and evening devotions.  To be still and know that He is God instead of running around like a crazy person.

I still fail at this patience thing, but at least I am making an effort.  In this fast-paced world in which I live I think I would rather slow down and be more like the Amish.

2 comments:

  1. I understand what you're saying. It would do me good as well. I don't think I have a patience problem...I'm not too bad...but yes, there are definitely time when I have needed to be patient and wasn't. That sounds like a really good book. I like the Amish too by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Most of us could use more patience,especially with each other. It would also benefit us healthwise. I,like you, am working on this. I ask myself 'If I don't have/get/do this right now,will the world end?' No,of course not! So.....how important is it...really?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.