Thursday, June 6, 2019

GROCERY HAUL AND PHOTO CHALLENGE DAY #5 - SUNGLASSES


Hello, friends.  Well, I didn't quite make it to do a second post yesterday, but hopefully I will today.  I spent most of yesterday away from home.  But not planned, it just happened that way.

I really did have to get that grocery shopping done.  Joe still was not up to going with me, so I called my friend, Donna.  She does not have a car so it is hard for her to get the larger items she needs like a case of water or big bag of cat food.  Those things get heavy!  I try to occasionally ask friends of mine that don't have cars if they want to go with me.  I remember what it was like when I didn't have a car and had to carry my groceries home on the bus.  Not fun.  Donna was up for going with me, so I got myself ready and headed off to her house to pick her up.

We went to the new Shoprite by me.  Donna rarely gets there since it is NOT near her.  We both like that store.  And it's smaller than the older store.  My legs and back are bothering me a lot these days.  So much so that I sometimes am not able to make it through the entire older and larger store.  The new one is big enough, but not too big for me.

We got there about 1:15 p.m., each grabbed a cart and headed our separate ways.  We agreed to meet up in about 30 minutes or so at the food court for lunch.  And that's just what we did.  I had already eaten two muffins for breakfast and knew it was an early dinner because of Bible Study so I didn't want much.  I got a little bit of chicken and broccoli from the Asian Bar and an iced tea.  Donna also went to the Asian Bar and got a little bit of several different things and a raspberry iced tea.  

Then we sat and talked.  It was so good to just have time to enjoy each other's company and catch up on things.  But finally we had to move on because we both had to get ready for church.  Donna goes to the same Bible Study Joe and I do and one of her friends was going to join us tonight for the first time.

After I dropped Donna off, I headed home.  I emptied the car and started making dinner as I was unpacking the groceries.  We had chicken cooked in the air fryer and asparagus.  I am so loving my air fryer and wonder how I ever got along without it.

I enjoy seeing other people's grocery hauls.  It is always interesting to see what they get and sometimes it gives me ideas for new products or even dinners.  So I thought I would share my groceries this week with you.


The 18 count carton of eggs was cheaper than the dozen eggs.  Go figure.  But I got it.  I'm not stupid.

Joe and I like chicken thighs.  There were four in this package and we ate two for dinner.  I also got a pound of ground beef and our favorite frozen fries -- crinkle cut.

I got a package of frozen meatballs to go with a new recipe I'm making this week.  If it turns out, I'll share the recipe with you.  I also got deli chicken and honey ham.

We ate this slice of watermelon when we got home from church tonight.  It's the first watermelon we've had this season.  It was so sweet!  I also got broccoli, zucchini (for the new recipe), gala apples and a bag of onions.

Seedless green grapes, oranges, bananas, and asparagus (we had about a third of the bunch for dinner).

There's always the paper products.  This week we needed facial tissues and napkins.

We can't leave Jack out.  Canned cat food for him along with his treats.  He would let us know if we forgot those treats!  I got another bag of pretzel thins (salt and pepper this time) and the Shoprite brand of sensitive toothpaste.  I find it works as well as the name brands and for $3 less.

We didn't really need the dishwasher tablets, but I had a $3 coupon that was about to expire on Cascade Platinum.  I have never used this particular type of Cascade, but with the coupon I got them for half price and even less than the store brand.  So why not?  I had run out of freezer bags, so I got those.  I am running low on instant potatoes (they are good for more than potatoes!) and got a box of that.  I also picked up another iced tea for home.  And finally a refill for our air freshener in the bathroom.  This fragrance is called Summer Breeze.
PHOTO CHALLENGE
The word for today was "sunglasses".  When I saw that I knew just what I wanted to show you.




Please excuse my poor sunburned and freckled nose.  I must tell you the story behind these awesome glasses.

Carolyn (my pastor's wife) and I were at Target a couple of years ago just looking around.  We especially were looking around the Dollar Spot since she is a elementary school teacher and was looking for things for her classroom.  It was just after Independence Day and there was a big switch going on from patriotic items to back-to-school things.  I saw two pair of sunglasses, these and another that were white with red and blue stars on them.  So cute.  I couldn't decide which I wanted but since they were $5 I had to choose (couldn't afford both) and went with these.

Carolyn and I went to the self-check out and she scanned her items with no problem.  I scanned the few other things I had gotten but these glasses would NOT scan.  I tried and tried but nothing.  So I went to the sales clerk and asked for help.  She told me they were a discontinued item but she would get a code to put in so I could buy them.  It turns out they were discounted because they weren't being made anymore and then the discount was discounted because it was after Fourth of July.  They ended up costing me 10 cents.  I went back to get the other pair and they were gone.  But I love my 10 cent patriotic sunglasses.

So that is all for right now.  I promise to try to get another post to you today so that I am caught up with my photo challenge.

Kathy



6 comments:

  1. What a haul! Love those glasses! I've learned to take both items to the register to check 'ju as that's happened to me several times.st in case'

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 cents! Oh my goodness! They are adorable! What a fun find. And yes...it's fun to see what's in someone else's basket! All your fruit and veggies look good and I'm hearing so many great things about those air fryers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your 10 cent glasses...what a find! I like looking in other people's carts too...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to buy shoes...had a closet full of heels and boots. Then my knee went bad and it was sensible shoes ...and...my obsession switched to glasses/sunglasses. I love yours! What fun, and I am impressed that you could find them to wear them again.

    I'm still trying to decide if I like my air fryer or not...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story about your sunglasses! You can't beat 10 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice sunglasses and 10 cents a good bargain. I like the color on your sweet face. Glad you had a good time out with your friend shopping. Hope Joe feels better soon. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.