Monday, May 9, 2011

MOTHER'S DAY

I had a really nice day yesterday.  I got a phone call early in the morning from my daughter-in-law in Tennessee to wish me a Happy Mother's Day.  That was very sweet of her.

At church all the ladies were given a plant to take home.  I took a pink impatience.  (Is that spelled right?)  There were some yellow pansies that were in very bad shape but not dead sitting outside.  I was able to get a flat of them too.  So I moved the half-eaten lettuce into a tall pot and planted the flowers in the flower box.  I hope I can baby the pansies back to life.

I just took it easy in the afternoon.  I needed it this weekend.  I have been so tired.

Well, on this Mother's Day I want to pay tribute to my mom.  She died 5 years ago this past Halloween.  Mom was my best friend.  I spent a lot of time with her, doing things with her and I miss her every day.

This is her high school graduation picture.

My mom and I look so much alike that people used to think we were sisters.  I told her I didn't know whether to be insulted that I looked that old or happy for her that she looked that young!

My mom was a wonderful quilter.  She had a major heart attack in her 50s and after she recovered she decided she wanted to learn to quilt, so she did.  She did beautiful work.  I actually have the first quilt she ever made.  She made it for me for my birthday.  She did quilts, wall hangings, tablecloths, bookcovers, potholders, and so much more.  She made up most of her patterns.  Being an artist she would have an idea, draw it out, cut out the pattern, and make it.  Here are some pictures of her work.






My mom hand quilted everything she did.  It took a lot of time and patience.  All her stitches were small and even.  I can sew, but not like that!

The last place I took Mom was to Lancaster County.  We went out there, had lunch and then went to Old Philadelphia Pike and looked for quilt shops.  We found one in the back of a driveway.  It was run by Amish ladies.  We went in, bought some fabric, and Mom started talking with the lady behind the counter.  An older Amish woman came up and joined the conversation.  They gave Mom some ideas for a new quilt.  She was very excited about making it, but was never able to.  Strange thing, I've looked for this store since, but have never been able to find it.

So here's to you, Mom.  I love you and miss you.  Thank you for being my mom.

5 comments:

  1. Having met your mother,I think you really captured her spirit. Her
    talent was exceptional as I have a book cover she made. I really loved
    seeing the pictures of her quilts & LOVE the first one!
    It really doesn't surprise me you were unable to locate that place again. I believe that God places things/people in our life at a time we need them. See how special that memory is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, the quilt you love is one I love too, but one Mom hated. She had a customer in our store who special ordered the quilt. Mom went to a lot of trouble to buy certain material and do the quilt. Then the woman came in and said it was ugly and she didn't want it. Mom could never get over it and was glad when I took it off of her hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you that you have her quilts. They are beautiful! I wish I could sew like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have wonderful memories of your mother. I always liked her alot. She was very talented and had a grate sence of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this was such a wonderful tribue to your mom! As soon as I saw her face, I could see the resemblance and I am only going by the tiny picture I can see of you in your comments. Her high school photo is very beautiful! I loved your story about the Amish quilt shop...and I think it is quite a mystery that you can no longer find it. That is so interesting. It is great that you had a wonderful relationship with your mom and that she was your best friend...I'm sure you miss her so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.