Thursday, October 17, 2019

WHAT I'M READING 2019/04 - THE HAWAIIAN QUILT by Wanda and Jean Brunstetter



Hello, friends!  Looking back on my blog I discovered that I hadn't done a What I'm Reading post since February!  That doesn't mean I haven't been reading.  My reading is sort of haphazard these days.  I read when I can and that's usually while I'm waiting in the car for Joe (and sometimes Joe and Rick) or waiting in a doctor's office.  I have so many books on Kindle and I have the Kindle app on my phone so that makes it easy to always have something to read at my fingertips.  

This, however, was a real paper book.  I follow Wanda Brunstetter on facebook and when she announced her new book you know I had to get it.  Wanda Brunstetter is not my all time favorite Amish author, but I do enjoy her books from time to time.  And this was not your typical Amish fiction book.

ABOUT THE BOOK:
Mandy Frey has always longed to see Hawaii, so before joining the Amish church and considering marriage with her boyfriend Gideon, she convinces three friends to join her on a cruise of the Hawaiian Islands.

But when Mandy and one of her friends miss the cruise ship after a port of call on Kauai, how will they adjust and get back home?  Captured by the enchanting scenery and culture in Hawaii, their vacation turns into an extended stay.  Special friendships are soon made, but home, family, and Gideon await Mandy back in Indiana.

Will time away from the Amish community change Mandy's view of the world, her faith, and true love?  Does a Hawaiian quilt have the power to bring two hearts together?

MY VIEW:
This was not your typical Amish romance book.  Far from it.  It was more of a Hawaiian adventure.  It starts off like any of her other books and quickly turns into something else.  A lot of my time reading it was spent with me saying, "Oh, come on.  Why don't you do this?  Can't you see that?"

Now don't get me wrong, it was a good book or I wouldn't have finished it.  I have too many books to read to waste my time on a book without a good story.  But a lot of it was predictable.  I was surprised at the ending, though, so I guess that was good.

I'm becoming a little disillusioned by Wanda Brunstetter since she began writing with her daughter-in-law.  I think I will take a break from her for awhile.  Unless I can find some of her older books, that is.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with you. If the book hasn't got my attention by the third or fourth chapter...I'm done. I don't want to have to 'work'to read. That occured with my reading the earlier Star Trek novels. It was easy,like watching an episode. Then they got more & more detailed,up to putting a Klingon dictionary in the back of one book! No thanks. Currently reading a coroner series by Annelise Ryan interspersed with Cozy pet mysteries for 'lighter' reading. My 'to be read' stack is ...well,, I'll survive the winter! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to read more in winter and have been looking for a good book. I like mysteries....any suggestons??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleo Coyle is one of my favorites. She writes mysteries about a coffeehouse and if you like coffee, there's some of that in there too -- recipes and such. And if tea is your thing, Laura Childs writes about tea shop mysteries. Joanne Fluke is good and so are Mary Kay Andrews and Diane Mott Davidson. My absolute favorite though is Tamar Myers' Pennsylvania Dutch mysteries. Not only is it a good story, she is hilarious and I find myself laughing through it. It has recipes too. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  3. I tend not to read fiction for the predictability factor you’ve mentioned. Amish fiction is not a fav unless it involves lots of good recipes. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy her books and in fact I read the one your talking about. I really enjoyed it. But you're right, it is not your typical Amish book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of this author's books. However, I do read a lot. And my kindle library is quite extensive. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For whatever reason, I'm not a fan of Amish novels. I do love to read though, and have my books (kindle app) with me at all times....except yesterday while waiting for Ellen at her exercise. I forgot my phone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like real touchy feely books but do have a Kindle on my tablet. I am slowly getting through the new ones I bought recently. I don't always have time to read it every day. I need to read the Bible nearly every day as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.