Thursday, October 31, 2019

A HALLOWEEN STORY FROM THE PAST



And just like that it is Halloween and the last day of October.  We are waiting for the little kids to show up for their treat.  And I still have cleaning to do and dinner to make.  So this will be a quick post.

My sister and I were talking about Halloween when we were kids and how different it was from what happens today.  Then we remembered one special Halloween and I have her permission to tell the story.

I was around 9 years old and she was about 8.  And poor Elaine got sick.  Very sick.  Too sick to go out which made her unhappy.  But I said I would go around trick-or-treating for her.  I dressed up as a fancy lady with a long skirt, my grandmother's fur stole, my grandmother's empty purse (which was big enough to put the candy into) and even gloves.  Masked, of course, I went next door first.  At that time you went into the person's house, they would try to guess who you were, and then you would get the candy.  Because we were always together, no one guessed that the lone little girl was me!  At each house I asked for an extra piece of candy for Elaine because "my sister is sick."  And I remembered exactly which piece was mine and which was hers.

I was allowed to only go to houses of people I knew -- my girlfriend across the street, my mom's best friend's parents, the girl in my class...

When I came home I sat on the sofa next to Elaine and divided all the candy.  "This is mine and this is yours."  Since we liked different things, I made sure I got all the ones she would like for her and all the ones I would like for me.  But the one thing I got for her was a big green lollipop.  BIG.  And very GREEN.  That was the first thing she took I think because she had a sore throat and it made her throat feel better.

But it was so big that she couldn't eat it all at once.  So she took it from her mouth to put it back into the wrapper to save it for later.  But she got upset when I started laughing.  "Your mouth is green!" I said.  I gave her a mirror and when she saw herself she started to cry.  Her tongue, her teeth and even her lips were bright green!  Of course it wore off after a little bit of time.  But we both still remember Halloween and Elaine's green mouth!  And we laugh about it now.

Hope you have a good evening and no green mouths.

Related image



Kathy



7 comments:

  1. I love Sister Stories! Each of you helps keep the memories alive. If one forgets the other fills in. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate a green lollipop and had a green mouth just this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a good big sister! I think you should have a stash of green lollipops to give her one from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both for sharing that story. Mine is not that cute. My sister was maybe around 10 or 11 & big for her age. I was 6 years older & short. She wanted one last halloween & begged me to go with her. I put on black pants & top with a half-mask & was a cat burgler. Though I tried to stay in the very back,some houses motioned me forward. Guess I did alright & she had her night. What we are willing to do for sisters! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute memory! My kids would get blue mouths from blue slushies.
    Have a good day, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable story. Thank you for sharing. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.