Tuesday, July 3, 2018

AND THE HEAT WAVE CONTINUES



It was another hot day here in Philly.  It went up to 98*F (37*C) but the heat index was 109*F (43*C).  Needless to say I did not leave the house today.  In fact, the only time I opened the door was to get the mail and to put out the recycling and feed the outside cats.  I wanted to get so much done, but ended up just sitting around.  We had the air conditioning on full blast and it just made it tolerable.  Those little window units just aren't made to take on temperatures like this.  But...  I am so very thankful to have them.  At least they cool things off a lot.

This is supposed to be the last really bad hot day in this heat wave.  Tomorrow is supposed to be around 90*F (32*C) and then it is going down in the 80s.  I'm so glad.  It has been so hot that they even have cooling stations at the Art Museum for people who are going down to see the fireworks tomorrow.  (See the picture above from last year.)  I am not going.  I will watch it on TV from the comfort of my own home.  I just don't enjoy being in crowds.

We had a major water main break in downtown Philly today.  It flooded several streets and restaurants/stores had their basements flooded.  It took 3 hours to turn off the main and it will take about 2 months to clean it all up.  What a mess!  By the time they were able to shut off the 100 year old main, the street had caved in and everything for blocks was covered with mud.


I was working on Joe's blanket today, but had to stop.  It was just too hot.  I actually started to feel sick with all that weight laying in my lap.  It is about 8 feet long now and I still have about 10 inches to put in it.  I will never do another one in this stitch.  It is very heavy.  But I'm sure Joe will love it this winter.  Pictures coming very soon.

As we were eating dinner this evening the rain finally came.  Too late for my flowers and vegetables, but nice for everything else.  And the air has cooled about 10 degrees.  There is actually a nice cool breeze coming in as I sit at the table and type this.



It's raining in Philadelphia.

Joe is waiting for me in the living room so I am going to end for today.  Have a great night.

Kathy





9 comments:

  1. If you asked me where the hottest place I've ever been was, I would tell you Philadelphia. The second hottest was Baltimore. That and I lived in AZ for nearly three years.

    One year I made a blanket in summer...odd timing...so I get that you had to quit. I love my stand-alone AC...so easy to put in and take down and works great.

    Stay cool as you can and enjoy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a hot one again today. I did a bit of shopping today.....and had a Starbucks frapp to cool me off :) No rain here....Ellen was waiting for the rain delay to end so she could watch the Phillies. She watches as many games as she can!
    Happy 4th to you and Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That water main was something! Looked like a waterfall going down the street.
    I'll be so glad at the drop in temp. I think everyone is a bit wilted & will enjoy the relief! Enjoy the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 4th, hope you can stay cool and comfortable today. It is miserably hot down south too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh thats too hot for sure,, I have done a few crocheted blankets in summer and I know exactly what you mean, I have felt that weight and it does make you feel ill. What an amazing gift you are making Joe,, truly a gift of love. Keep cool,

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops,, Happy Fourth Kathy,, I forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Fourth of July to you and Joe. I love the photo of the fireworks display from last year. So beautiful! Wowsie! That's some mess to have to clean up. I think a lot of the water mains really should be updated. You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Joe is from Philly. He wants to know what street caved in?? Wow!! Stay cool up there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.