Thursday, September 7, 2017

THE CLYDESDALE HORSE


On the first of the month Debbie and I went to see the Budweiser Clydesdale horse at Cottman Beverages.  I had seen the announcement on facebook and realized it was only a couple of miles from my house.  I thought this would be something different and fun and I was right.  And who better to go with me than Debbie, the animal lover extraordinare!

I got stuck in traffic so I was a little later picking her up than I wanted to be.  No matter.  We had a two hour window to see the horse.

I wasn't really sure how far up the place was, so we kept our eyes open for the 7500 block.  7200...  7300... 7400...  There it was!  And a large crowd of people on the sidewalk.  We assumed the horse was already there in the building and this was the line to get in to see him.  I can no longer stand longer than 15-20 minutes so I knew that if it was a long line there was no way I was going to get to see it.  But we drove around the block and parked and started to walk back to see how long the wait would be. 

As we were about to cross the street, the Budweiser truck drove up and parked.  Debbie and I looked at each other in amazement!  How good God was to not only have the truck 30 minutes late, but to park it right in front of us! I could do this.






Debbie and I were so close.  Here's the horse inside the trailer.



And coming out.



His groomers/handlers immediately began combing out his legs and sprayed him with something -- I'm thinking water but I may be wrong.




Debbie asked the handler what his name was and was told it was Ricco.  Rico?  It's pronounced Ree-co.

All the traffic stopped as Ricco was led across the street and given a spot to stand so people could take pictures with him.  He's a beauty for sure.  And so big!




I'm so glad we got to see him.

12 comments:

  1. God is so amazing! I still can't get over the trailer pulling up right in front of us.
    The ground actually vibrated when he was unloaded! Such weight! So handsome! I'm thankful that Kathy invited me to go with her & I got this opportunity to see such a magnificent animal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, That was wonderful to get the pictures of the truck and beautiful Ricco. Those big old work horses are amazing. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, all of it! Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this was a real joy Kathy...I have seen them before and they are truly magnificent! I have two sons that work for Budweiser so it's a treat to see their lovely horses...glad you went!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a magnificent experience!! Those are simply magical animals, somehow, and I have images of angels handing out chores: These horses are BIG---let's let them pull a BEER TRUCK!! And thus, a legend was born---their temperaments and their carriage and those immaculate white stockings, along with such an aura of nobility and power.

    We went to a convention in St. Louis back in the 60s, and one of the sightseeing choices was a trip to the AH Brewery. Ah, said all of us ladies---we'll wear our little coat-dresses and our matching pumps, and walk through a big warm building, safe from all the snowdrifts outside. NOT SO! The thing covered what felt like three city blocks, so we were forever traipsing out and around and back in, and up ramps and down (on one of which we were interspersed all throughout a traveling college choir, and was THAT an experience---rising the moving ramp INSIDE all those voices singing "This Land is Your Land," and "Glory, Glory Hallelujah!" as we rose past those great copper vats into the February sunshine of the ceiling.

    And then--and THEN!! Out to the stables, for that once-in-a-lifetime exposure to such a group of creatures that could only be magical. I'll never forget that afternoon. It's in my book of all-time things I wish I'd Thought of to do, and there they came, like a granted wish.

    Oh, my---I'm so happy for you. Just seeing that glorious creature sparked all sorts of wonderful memories. (The Superbowl commercial after 9/11 is on the all-time perfect list, as well).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh he is a handsome fellow. John and I visited a Clyesdale Barn in Merrimac, New Hampshire and it was a highlight of our trip. Those horses are treated like royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are incredibly beautiful and so glad you got to see this one up close. Thanks for sharing. Love any commercial where they are featured.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful horse. Great timing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are beautiful animals and a lovely reminder of past times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you not only got to see the Clydesdale, Kathy, but getting there a bit late actually worked to your advantage...how wonderful that was for you and Debbie. We have seen these magnificent animals very near where we live as there is an Anheuser Busch brewery in Merrimack, NH. It offers free tours and a chance to see the horses if they are there in the stables, which are on-site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one BIG horse!
    And beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.