Wednesday, July 23, 2014

MY READING LIST

I suppose you all know by now that I work in a library because I love books.  I mean I LOVE books.  There are very few times you will find me not reading something.  Sometimes I read two or three books at a time.



I just finished yesterday "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo.  It was interesting and made me sort of homesick for heaven.  There were some things I didn't believe like the dead souls having wings.  I find no where in the Bible where it tells me I'll have wings in heaven.  I think wings are reserved for the angels and we remain created humans.  We don't turn into angels.  But all in all it was a fantastic book and I couldn't put it down.



Tonight Joe and I are starting "On My Way" by Tomie dePaola.  It is the third book in his 26 Fairmount Avenue series.  Although these are kids books, they are so well written and very funny.  Joe did not want to read this series.  He thought it was too juvenile.  I insisted  on reading the first three chapters of the first book and he was hooked.  Tomie takes us on a journey through his life as a child in New York.  It gets better as it goes along.  Because the chapters are short it is the perfect little read after our evening devotionals.



My new "daytime" book is "Ice Bound" by Jerri Nielsen.  She was the doctor who in 1999 was stationed at the Amundsen-Scott Station at the South Pole when she discovered she had breast cancer.  I remember the story so well and I remember praying for her.  I read this book before when it first came out in 2001 and have thought of it off and on over the years.  When a book sticks with me so long, I want to go back and reread it.  So this was the time to do so.  It is as good as I remembered it and I am thoroughly enjoying it the second time around.


I have added a little gadget to my sidebar which shows what I am currently reading.  I'm hoping that will move me right along with my books because I have tons to read.  Working in a library is like working in a candy store.  You see all the goodies and just have to have them.


Kathy

3 comments:

  1. Kathy, I love reading kids books too. I did not get to go to the library when growing up and we never owned a book , only one bible. I let my kids go to the library any time, they joined book clubs thru summer. I bought books thru the Weekly Reader clubs. That is my clutter today...books. I have thinned them out, by giving all my home interior books to my granddaughters. Most of my mysteries I gave to my sister. Hooray for books is what I say. :):) xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great knowing I'm not the only one. I cannot go into the library,bookstore etc without getting at least one book. I, too, find myself reading 2 or sometimes even 3 books at once; especially if one is thicker/heavier that is awkward for bus travel. Thank you,Susie; I'd forgotten the Weekly Reader Scholastic Club! I LOVED waiting eagerly for the books that I'd been allowed to order.....
    Have a great day fellow readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard "Heaven is For Real" is a great read :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.