Friday, December 6, 2013

PHILLY FRIDAY -- THE PHILADELPHIA ZOO

This is one of my favorite places to visit in Philadelphia.  I first went to the zoo when I was a year old.  My mom always told me that all I talked about was the big white bears.

 

They are still my favorite.  They have this huge pool they swim in.  You can stand by the glass side of it and watch them swim underwater.

 

The nice thing about the Philadelphia zoo is that the animals are in their natural habitat, not behind bars.  You can see how the animals would live in the wild.











The Philadelphia Zoological Gardens was the first zoo in the United States.  It was chartered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on March 21, 1859 but because of the Civil War didn't open until July 1, 1874.  It had 1,000 animals and admission was 25 cents.  For a brief time in the 1850s the zoo housed animals brought over from a safari by the Smithsonian Institution because the National Zoo hadn't been built yet.

File:Philadelphia Zoo Welcome Sign 2701px.jpg

Today the zoo is 42 acres and is home to more than 1,300 animals, many of which are rare and endangered. The zoo features a children's zoo, a balloon ride, a paddleboat lake, a rainforest themed carousel, and many interactive and educational exhibits.

It's a great place to visit and I hope someday you can.

--------------------------------
Thursday's weather
Fog/Cloudy/Light Rain
High:  61 degrees
Low:  48 degrees
Sunrise:  7:07 a.m.
Sunset:  4:35 p.m.
9 hours and 28 minutes of daylight
Moonphase:  waxing crescent

6 comments:

  1. I never knew that our zoo housed Smithsonian safari animals! I love going to the zoo,sometimes just to sit surrounded by nature.It is really soothing.I am a HUGE
    fan of the big cats (lions,tigers etc).The zoo is also privileged to house 2 of the lionesses made famous in the book "The White Lions of Timbavti". Wow!
    Thanks, Kathy for highlighting one of Philly's coolest sights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, Great photos of the Zoo. I did not know that was America's 1st Zoo. I learned something today.:):) Hope you are safe and warm. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned something new today too!! I just love your zoo photos, especially the one of the polar bear swimming. If I ever make it out to Philadelphia, I would definitely want to visit this zoo. You have a great evening, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so fun that your family still does some of the British traditions. Maybe our ancestors were related. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice zoo. My daughter loves polar bears as well. Oregon zoo is nice as well. They've done some renovations. was going to zoo lights this year but train isn't working right now because of the tracks being moved, I think. It's 28 degrees right now. Looks like you have warmer weather than us right now. Maybe above freezing tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I am not fond of zoo's many are doing great work for animals that need help. I love the way this zoo is set up. It is beautifully done.
    Hugs,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.