Sunday, September 8, 2013

THE END OF THE SUMMER COOKOUT

What a day this has been.  I got up at 6:30 a.m. to get the trash out for pickup.  Then I started getting ready for our End of the Summer Cookout.  As I mentioned it is something I did regularly on the weekend after Labor Day until a couple of years ago.  I was glad to get back to it this year.

My friend, Debbie, was kind enough to offer to help me out.  We started off by going to get the food.  Then we went home and started making the salads.  I made my "world famous" potato salad.


Pasta salad...


... and some deviled eggs.

Around 2:30 I left Joe and Debbie putting up the gazebo and went to pick up my friend Donna.  When we got back, I found them in the living room with the air conditioner going full blast.  Joe had gotten really sick in the heat.  He looked bad.  So I got him a cold bottle of water and made him sip it and lay down on the sofa for awhile.  I also gave him some veggie chips to replace some of the salt he had lost because he was just soaked with sweat.  Poor Joe.

My friend Carol showed up next and we ladies finished setting things up and I put out the chips and pretzels Carol had brought, the sodas Donna brought, water and snacks.  We all started munching.

Debbie and Carol in the gazebo.
Debbie, Carol and Donna
 About half an hour later my former pastor, Pastor Walt, and his wife Dolores showed up.  Joe was feeling better, so he went outside again too.


I started cooking then.  We had hot dogs, hamburgers, popcorn chicken, and the salads.


 We all had so much fun and it was a great day.





All day we saw geese flying overhead.


Around 5:00 I brought out desserts even though everyone was kind of full.  I found this cake at ShopRite.  Isn't it adorable?  People are so creative.  It was good too.


And for Joe because he's diabetic and anyone else who wanted it, I had watermelon and blueberries.  It went fast.


The sun started setting around 7:30 and by 8:00 everyone was going home.
 
As Donna and I were getting into the car for me to drive her home we saw a dirigible.  It was flying really low.


When I came home I cleaned up the back yard as best as I could.  I'll finish it up in the morning.  It was a good day and by 9:00 I was sound asleep.  I woke up around 4:00 a.m. and decided to write this while everything was fresh in my mind.  Hope you enjoyed sharing the day with me.


My shirt says "celebrate" and that's what we did.  Now the summer is over and autumn can begin!

SunnySaturday -- Sunny
High:  81 degrees at 3:25 p.m.
Low:  52 degrees at 6:05 a.m.
Sunrise:  6:34 a.m.
Sunset:  7:22 p.m.

8 comments:

  1. I want to know about the "World famous potato salad" is the recipe a secret?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's really easy. Peel and boil as many potatoes as you need. For my crowd I used about 3 lbs. When the potatoes are ready (about 15-20 minutes) dice some onion. I usually don't use a lot, but if you really like onion, use more. I used about 1/4 of an onion. Put the potatoes in a bowl, add the onion, add 4 serving spoons of mayo, 2 serving spoons of Italian dressing, salt, pepper, and celery salt. Mix up. I then taste it and add more salt, pepper, celery salt and Italian dressing until it tastes good to me. That's it. Then I cover it and chill it until I'm ready to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I'm late to the party. It looked like so much fun! Look at the smile on your face, cute.

    Oh and thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, looks like you all feasted!
    Sounds like you all had a blast too. Glad Joe started feeling better and could join the festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy wow your potato salad looks delicious!
    looks like you had a wonderful time nothing like making memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your party!!! Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for inviting me. The entire day was a blast! The pasta
    salad was delicious! By dicing carrots in it, I got my daily veggies. Thanks!(Trying to eat healthy.)
    I'm glad Joe felt well enough to join at least part of the
    festivities.You really made a
    great feast. Hope you got at least a taste of your own food, Ha ha!
    Thank you again for a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, what a wonderful picnic you had. It sounds so nice! Wish I could try some of your "world famous" potato salad. I love the geese flying over...we have a flock that flies over my house every evening in the fall.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.