Friday, July 19, 2013

END OF THE WEEK


 Partly Cloudy


High at 3:05 p.m.
 Partly cloudy and
96 degrees!

 And the heat goes on!   Another hot day here in Philly.  Heard there will be some relief coming this weekend and I certainly hope so.  Tomorrow we are supposed to have severe thunderstorms.

First of all thank you all on the good wishes and prayer for my uncle.  He passed away at 6:30 yesterday morning.  The funeral is on Monday.  I called my boss at the Richmond Branch from McPherson Square and told him I would not be in on Monday.  He was not happy and said, "Well, OK, if you really have to."  When I said that to the people at the front desk with me, all three of them (the guard, the other Library Assistant and the volunteer) said in unison "IF YOU REALLY HAVE TO?"  They were appalled.  I guess I'm just used to being treated that way.  The librarian there said, "Oh, Kathy, I'm so sorry.  Please give my condolences to your family."  What a difference.  Am I thinking of asking for a transfer?  Well, I'm thinking about it.

Today was not a great day.  This morning Joe was in the kitchen eating breakfast.  When he finished he started for the dining room and living room to go upstairs to get his medicine and go back to bed.  He lost his balance and fell and ended up wedged between the dining room table and the shelving unit.  I tried to help him up, but he was a dead weight.  I couldn't move him.  I got his legs out from under him and had him lay back with a pillow off of the sofa under his head.  After a few minutes I got his walker and he tried to use that to pull himself up, but his legs were not strong enough.  I called several of the neighbors, but no one was home.  So he ended up using his Life Alert and they called the paramedics to get him up.  He just got the Life Alert a few weeks ago and I am so glad he did.  It took them about half an hour to get here, but two men just got a hold of him and lifted him right up.  Then they got him into bed.  

Joe insisted I go to work, so I did after making sure he was OK.  I called him off and on all day to make sure everything was still OK and it was.  The people at McPherson were so concerned and I have orders to email them next week to let them know how he is doing.  What a nice bunch of people.

I didn't do overtime today, but I do have four hours of extra pay coming to me, so that is pretty nice.  Four hours more than I would have had.

I am looking forward to my vacation so much.  Just 8 more days until vacation and 10 more days till I am back in Ocean City.


I can't wait!  I am just hoping that Joe is OK for me to go away for Sisters' Week.  He says he is and is insisting I go, but we'll see.

At any rate I will have lots to show you and tell you about that week.  We have great plans and I am looking forward to sharing with you.  Expect lots of pictures!

4 comments:

  1. My prayers & sympathies on your loss.What can I say? Jerry will be Jerry.
    Sorry to hear about Joe. Thank goodness you had Life Alert.It's odd,with all the commercials,I now know someone it has helped...
    I love the seagull picture! I can just feel the sand on my feet & the waves pulling on my heels,urging me into the water...I better stop or Russ'll come to find his wife's on a bus halfway to the shore! Ha ha
    Peace & hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kathy...you have my sympathy.
    (I hope you do transfer)

    God's timing for the Life Alert is perfect, isn't it? That was a scary situation and I pray it will never happen again.

    Bring on the vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, sorry for the loss of your uncle amd glad you're going to his funeral service Mon. Some bosses aren't very sympathetic. Glad Joe is ok and you got help. I'm looking forward to our trip to the coast in a month. Hotels there are expensive but it's a good one. Have a good time.
    We are having high 80s temps, cool off in eve. It's summer and we will be backto rain eventually but that's Oregon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, I am sorry about the loss of your uncle. He's with your dad now. Sounds like you can't get a break girl. We better turn our voices up to God....you could use some prayers. I'll be praying for you Kathy, for Joe to get stronger, for your boss to become more compassionate. For your vacation to be fun and refreshing. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.