Wednesday, November 16, 2011

WHAT I'M READING

VALLEY OF THE SHADOW by Stephanie Grace Whitson (Dakota Moon - Book 1)

About the book:
Eighteen-year-old Genevieve LaCroix protests when her father tells her it's time to leave home for further education at nearby Renville mission.  The daughter of Good Song Woman and Etienne LaCroix, she carries in her blood the proud heritage of a Dakota warrior and a French aristocrat.  But when Gen arrives at Renville mission, she learns that her heritage is not valued in the changing world created by new white immigrants.  At first the lessons learned at the mission are difficult and lonely.  But soon Gen finds new friends and begins to understand this strange culture.  When the missionary family takes in Two Stars, an injured young Dakota warrior, Gen begins to learn how quickly life can change.


My thoughts:
To me this book began slowly.  It took several chapters for me to get really into it.  But then it got to a point where I couldn't put it down and I finished it in three days.  It is based on a true story and I'm sort of sorry it is because it really shows man's inhumanity to each other.  Whites hate the Indians, Indians hate the whites.  Wars are started, people are killed.  The ending is a surprise though.  If you can get through the first 3 or 4 chapters, it is a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.