Saturday, November 12, 2011

COMMUNITY SPONSORED AGRICULTURE -- WEEK #25

This was the last week of the Summer CSA.  Yes, summer.  Can you believe it?  We have decided not to go into the Winter CSA this year, so this is the last pick-up we will have for some time.


We got:
     head of red romaine lettuce
     5 mitsu apples
     bunch of beets
     bunch of carrots
     2 lbs. of turnips
     2 lbs. of sweet potatoes 
     bag of cranberries
     jar of honey (made from bees kept on the farm)
     dozen eggs
     piece of Smoke Signal cheese
     $5 in Greensgrow bucks


With the Greensgrow bucks you can buy anything from the Farmer's Market.  We got red potatoes and more turnips.  The ones at the CSA were little; the ones at the stand were large.  We made sure we had enough for a meal.  We also got some yellow popping corn.


I must show you a picture of this one carrot that was in the bunch.  Remember when you look at it that this is just ONE carrot.




I have never seen a carrot like this.  Isn't it unusual?  I don't even know how to cut it up.


On our way home from the farm we stopped at Shop-Rite and did our weekly food shopping.  I saw my friend, Paulette, who works there but didn't get a chance to talk with her because she was really busy.  At the other end of the store I heard someone call my name and it was my former supervisor, Donna.  The one who just retired and whose job I took over.  She looks great.  How come everyone who retires starts looking better?  Then heading for check out I saw one of our patrons that I'm friendly with.  Sometimes you see no one you know and other days they are crawling out of the woodwork!


I found a display in the store for a new Jello pudding flavor -- spiced pumpkin.  I got a box and am going to make a pie out of it.  I'll let you know how it turns out.


I'm feeling sick off and on today.  It usually doesn't last this long, so I don't know what is going on.


Another day tomorrow.  I have a great post planned so see you then.

4 comments:

  1. Your vegtables look so good!
    The carrot is very interesting...so how do you cut it?
    What a fun way to get your fresh vegetables.

    Hope you feel better, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most interesting carrot I've ever saw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one unusual carrot! Looks like you got a good haul for it being the last for awhile. I know what you mean about running into people. Russ is running into ex-coworkers in the oddest places (when we're out together). People
    who do not live in the area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now THAT'S a carrot!!!!!
    Hope you feeling better any minute now!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.