Wednesday, November 2, 2011

WHAT I'M READING

THE AMISH WAY: PATIENT FAITH IN A PERILOUS WORLD by Donald B. Kraybill, Steven M. Nolt and David L. Weaver-Zercher


About the book:
The Amish continue to be a source of curiosity for millions of people who are fascinated by, and sometimes attracted to, their steadfast ways.  The 2006 shootings at the schoolhouse in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania, heightened public interest in this unique people, and their extraordinary acts of compassion in the wake of that tragedy both inspired and puzzled many observers.  The Amish themselves do little to satisfy this curiosity, and they trust very few outsiders to do it for them.

In this follow-up to the bestselling Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy, Donald Kraybill, Steven Nolt, and David Weaver-Zercher shed further light on Amish life, this time on their faith and spiritual practices.  The Amish Way interprets the distinctive practices of Amish spirituality in their cultural context and explores their relevance for the wider world.  Drawing on interviews with Amish people, Amish publications, and firsthand experience in Amish communities, the authors tell the story of Amish religious experience with Amish voices and through their cultural lenses.

In this thoughtful and sensitive book, the authors explain how Amish faith is intertwined with community and commitment, child rearing, home life, material possessions, the natural world, evil, and sorrow.  The authors explore the complicated question, "Is there anything the Amish can teach the rest of us about living meaningfully in the modern world?"

Written in a lively and engaging style, The Amish Way holds appeal for anyone who wants to learn more about the spiritual and religious impulse that energizes the Amish way of life.

My thoughts:
What a good book.  Could I ever become Amish?  Not on your life.  But I greatly admire their principles, their sense of community, their spirituality.  It gives me a lot to think about with their patience and forgiveness.  I could be more patient and forgiving in my everyday life.  I think I will have to reread this book in the future and digest it more thoroughly.

Thumbs up!

1 comment:

  1. This is a well written book. It gave me a lot to think about & diffused quite a few perceptions I'd had regarding the Amish. Their simple ways of living seem a perfect solution to today's 'fast/quick fix' life problems.

    I reccomend this book highly. I came away with a new perspective on not just the Amish but life in general. It was a look at myself as well. Read with an open mind & I doubt you will be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.