Tuesday, June 7, 2011

GRANDMOM'S BIRTHDAY

Today is my grandmother's (mother's mother) birthday.  If she were alive she would be 107 today.  She died in 1969.  I was a young teen, so didn't really get to know her the way I wish I could have.

Here is a rare picture.  I'm the only one in the family that has this picture.  I want to make copies for my brothers and sister so I took a digital picture of it.  If you click on the picture it will get bigger and you can see it better.



They are (from left to right) my great-great grandmother Elizabeth Barrett, my great-great-great grandmother Susan Kenny, my great-grandmother, Gertrude MacElroy and my grandmother Sylvia MacElroy (later Evans).  By looking at this picture I imagine my grandmother was about 4 or 5 years old, so it was probably taken around 1908 or 1909.  I know it was in the backyard of a house in the neighborhood I live in now.  Probably just a few blocks from my house.

I have been researching my family history and it's really fascinating finding out things about these people.  And who has a picture of four generations of their ancestors?  This is a real gem.

So happy birthday, Grandmom.  I wish I had known you better.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love that picture. I have so many of my relatives' pictures and they are a treasure to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cherdecor. I love old pictures too. I look at them and try to imagine what their lives were like.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.