Tuesday, January 11, 2011

CHRISTMAS CACTUS


I don't know what I did differently this year, but my Christmas cactus must have liked it. When I came home from my sister's house the day after Christmas there were 8 buds on the plant.



At first I thought I must be mistaken, but all of these little knobs became buds and then developed into flowers. One of them got knocked off before it fully bloomed, but the others did great.


This is the only yellow Christmas cactus I have ever seen. Mostly you see the dark pink variety. I have had those in the past. I have also had an Easter Cactus which blooms close to Easter in the spring. That was also a deep pink.



I love my Christmas cactus. I just hope I can get it to repeat its performance next year.

2 comments:

  1. So, is this Christmas cactus a plant that you have had for a few years, or does it die off and then you get a new one every year...kinda like a poinsettia?? You must have been so pleased to see the flowers bloomed when you got home. I love little moments like that. Those are the things that just make me so happy. It's always the little things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I have had this particular Christmas cactus for about 4 years now. I had ones before, but like all plants they have a life span. When they die off I get another one. They usually live in my house about 8 years or so. Don't know how they do in other people's houses. This is the most it has ever bloomed. Yeah, it's the little things in life that count.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.