Sunday, January 9, 2011

JENNY


My cat-daughter, Jenny, has mentioned to me that I don't talk about her enough so today's post is about her. Jenny is my third cat.

My first cat, Fluffy, was also black, but a long haired cat with white on her belly and a little bit on one paw. Fluffy came to me from a girl I worked with at the time. This girl's mom was going in a nursing home and she was trying to find homes for her mom's cats and dogs. I took Fluffy on a two week trial basis and had her for 10 years.

My second cat was Emily. Emily was my dad's cat. She was a brown, cream and black striped cat with a little pink nose. She had more personality than most people. When my dad died I took Emily. My step-mom had a LOT of cats (about 30!) so any that she could place, she did. I liked having my dad's cat. Both Fluffy and Emily died of cancer of the mouth and stomach. Joe thinks it's because we live 2 streets away from a chemical plant and both of them would go into the yard and eat the grass.

Jenny was a rescue cat. She was very scared of us when I brought her home from the vet's office. She wouldn't eat or drink if we were watching. We couldn't pet her. If we went to rub her on the head, she would cringe and cry. We think she must have been abused by her former owners. Jenny is still afraid of many things. She will go to the door, but refuses to go outside. She is curious when someone comes into the house, but will not approach them. When she is spooked, she will run upstairs faster than I've ever seen any animal go.


Joe and I were engaged when I brought Jenny home. He did not want a cat. He said it would tie us down and we couldn't travel. Besides, he is allergic to cats. Guess whose cat Jenny is? Even though I feed her, clean her litter, and am even the one who brought her home out of that little cage she was living in, her heart belongs to "Daddy." And his belongs to her.

Jenny loves to watch TV. She insists Daddy watch Animal Planet with her.



6 comments:

  1. Jenny sounds like such a sweetie. With time hopefully she will relax more and more and trust you. Sounds like she already has somewhat. Our Kitty we picked up as a stray. She didn't like us either and was downright hostile to being petted or held. But she's growing more affectionate all the time. We've had her 3 years now.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne, Our Jenny has calmed down a lot. We have had her for 6 years now and she has changed so much. She comes up, sits right next to us and begs for treats and pets. But we still can't hold her or pick her up. By the way, I love your stories about Kitty. She is quite a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like cats, but only when they belong to someone else. =) I used to be afraid of them and never turned my back on them, but I have seen some that make lovely pets.

    My daughter has a cat and a dog. She says they get along well together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherdecor, my sister feels the same way as you do. She tolerates my cat when she comes to visit. She has a cocker spaniel that is her "little boy",

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have met the marvelous Miss Jenny in purrson & she is the most regal of cats.I make it a point to acknowledge her as the "queen" she is & we get along just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind cats at all. I think they are very cute and interesting. I know a lot of people always say how much personality cats have. I had a kitten for a short period of time when I was a child but my mother gave her away because she said I did not pay any attention to her. Well, of course, I was a child...I thought that I did pay attention to her, but who knows..maybe I didn't. Anyhow, it broke my heart when my mom gave her away. I have a sneeking suspicion it had more to do with my father than anything...he is not into animals for pets at all! I, as an adult, am now allergic to cats. I wasn't allergic when I was a child though. So now, when I am in a home with a cat, I start to cough, and my eyes will get very itchy. I am not happy about this...as my sister has a cat and I am never able to go visit her! No fair!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.